Doolittle’s Raid – Tokyo – April 18 1942


The Doolittle Raid of April 18 1942, was the first air raid by the United States to strike the Japanese home islands during World War II. The mission was notable in that it was the only operation in which United States Army Air Forces bombers were launched from a US Navy aircraft carrier. It was the longest combat mission ever flown by the B-25 Mitchell medium bomber. This raid had its start in a desire by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, expressed to the Joint Chiefs of Staff in a meeting at the White House on December 21 1941, that Japan be bombed as soon as possible to boost public morale after the disaster at Pearl Harbor.

The Japanese people had been told they were invulnerable … An attack on the Japanese homeland would cause confusion in the minds of the Japanese people and sow doubt about the reliability of their leaders. There was a second, and equally important, psychological reason for this attack … Americans badly needed a morale boost. Doolittle, later in his autobiography, recounted that the raid was intended to bolster American morale and to cause the Japanese to begin doubting their leadership, in which it succeeded.

Brig Gen James Doolittle in 1942

The concept for the attack came from Navy Capt Francis S. Low, Assistant Chief of Staff for anti-submarine warfare, who reported to Admiral Ernest J. King on January 10 1942 that he thought twin-engine Army bombers could be launched from an aircraft carrier, after observing several at a naval airfield in Norfolk, Virginia, where the runway was painted with the outline of a carrier deck for landing practice. The attack was planned and led by Doolittle, a famous civilian aviator and aeronautical engineer before the war.


The requirements to accomplish this operation : the aircraft had to have a cruising range of 2400 nautical miles (4400 km) with a 2000-pound (910 Kg) bomb load, resulted in the selection of the B-25B Mitchell to carry out the task. The Martin B-26 Marauder, the Douglas B-18 Bolo and the Douglas B-23 Dragon were also considered, but the B-26 had questionable takeoff characteristics from a carrier deck and the B-23’s wingspan was nearly 50% greater than the B-25’s, reducing the number of plane that could be taken aboard a carrier and posing risks to the ship’s island (superstructure). The B-18, one of the final two types considered by Doolittle, was rejected for the same reason.

In 1942, the B-25 had still to be tested in combat, but subsequent tests indicated they could fulfill the mission’s requirements. Doolittle’s first report on the plan suggested the bombers might land in Vladivostok USSR, shortening the flight by 600 nautical miles (1100 Km) on the basis of turning over the B-25s as Lend-Lease. Negotiations with the Soviet Union, which had signed a neutrality pact with Japan on April 1941, for permission were fruitless. Something else was also pointed out : bombers attacking defended targets often relied on a fighter escort to defend them from enemy fighters; not only did Doolittle’s aircraft lack a full complement of guns to save weight, but it was not possible for fighters to accompany them.

When planning indicated that the B-25 was the aircraft best meeting all specifications of the mission, two were loaded aboard the aircraft carrier USS Hornet at Norfolk, Virginia, and flown off the deck without difficulty on February 3 1942. The raid was approved and the 17th Bomb Group (M), (first Medium Bomb Group with 4 Squadrons using B-25s in the Army Air Force), was chosen to provide the pool of crews from which volunteers would be recruited. Based in Pendleton, Oregon, the Group was moved to Lexington County Army Air Base at Columbia, South Carolina, to fly similar patrols off the East Coast of the US and prepare for the mission against Japan.

Initial planning calling for 20 aircraft, 24 of the group’s B-25B Mitchell were diverted to the Mid-Continent Airlines modification center in Minneapolis, Minnesota which became the first modification center operational. From nearby Fort Snelling, the 710th Military Police Battalion provided tight security around this hangar as well as the entire Base.



Removal of the lower gun turret.
Installation of De-icers and Anti-icers.
Steel blast plates mounted on the fuselage around the upper turret.
Removal of the liaison radio set (a weight impediment).
Installation of a 160-gallon collapsible neoprene auxiliary fuel tank fixed to the top of the bomb bay, and support mounts for additional fuel cells in the bomb bay, crawl-way and lower turret area to increase fuel capacity from 646 to 1141 gallons.
Mock gun barrels installed in the tail cone.
Replacement of their Norden bomb-sight with a makeshift aiming sight devised by pilot Capt Charles Ross Greening and called the “Mark Twain”.
(Note) : two bombers also had cameras mounted to record the results of bombing.

The 24 crews selected picked up the modified bombers in Minneapolis and flew them to Eglin Field, Florida, beginning March 1 1942. There the crews received intensive training for three weeks in simulated carrier deck takeoffs, low-level and night flying, low-altitude bombing and over-water navigation, primarily out of Wagner Field, Auxiliary Field 1. Lt Henry Miller, USN, from nearby Naval Air Station Pensacola supervised their takeoff training and accompanied the crews to the launch.

North American Aviation B-25B Mitchell 40-2291 at Eglin Field, Florida, March 1942.

On March 25 1942, after three weeks of intensive training, the 22 remaining North American Aviation B-25B Mitchell twin-engine medium bombers of the 17-BG, completed a two-day low-level transcontinental flight and arrived at the Sacramento Air Depot, McClellan Field, California, for final modifications, repairs and maintenance before an upcoming secret mission. 16 B-25s were flown to Naval Air Station in Alameda, California, on March 31. Fifteen raiders were the mission force and a 16th aircraft, by last minute agreement with the Navy, was squeezed onto the deck to be flown off shortly after departure from San Francisco to provide feedback to the Army pilots about takeoff characteristics. The 16th bomber was made part of the mission force instead.

(Doolittle Combat Group)

B-25 #01 #402344 34th Bomber Sq, Tokyo
Pilot : Lt Col J. H. Doolittle
Co-Pilot : Lt R. E. Cole
Navigator : Lt H. A. Potter
Bombardier : S/Sgt F. A. Braemer
Engineer Gunner : S/Sgt. P. J. Leonard
Crew bailed out, plane crashed north of Quzhou, China.

B-25 #02 #402292 37th Bomber Sq : Tokyo
Pilot : Lt Travis Hoover
Co-Pilot : Lt W. N. Fitzhugh
Navigator : Lt C. R. Wildner
Bombardier : Lt R. E. Miller
Engineer Gunner : S/Sgt D. V. Radney
Crew non injured, plane soft crash landing, Ningbo, China.

B-25 #3 #402270 (Whiskey Pete) 95th Bomber Sq : Tokyo
Pilot : Lt Robert M. Gray
Co-Pilot : Lt J. E. Manch
Navigator : Lt C. J. Ozuk
Bombardier : Sgt A. E. Jones
Engineer Gunner : Cpl L. D. Faktor
Crew bailed out, plane crashed in southeast of Quzhou, China.

B-25 #4 #402282 95th Bomber Sq : Tokyo
Pilot : Lt Everett W. Holstrom
Co-Pilot : Lt L. N. Yougblood
Navigator : Lt H. C. McCool
Bombardier : Sgt R. J. Stephens
Engineer Gunner : Cpl B. M. Jordan
Crew bailed out, plane crashed southeast of Shangrao, China.

B-25 #5 #402283 95th Bomber Sq : Tokyo
Pilot : Capt David M. Jones
Co-Pilot : Lt R. R. Wilder
Navigator : Lt E. F. Gurl
Bombardier : Lt D. V. Truelove
Engineer Gunner : Sgt J. W. Manske
Crew balied out, plane crashed southwest of Quzhou, China.

B-25 #6 #402298 (The Green Hornet) 95th Bomber Sq : Tokyo
Pilot : Lt Dean E. Hallmark
Co-Pilot : Lt R. J. Meder
Navigator : Lt C. J. Nielsen
Bombardier : Sgt W. J. Dieter
Engineer Gunner : Cpl. D. E. Fitzmaurice
2 KIA, 3 POW, plane ditched at sea in Wenzhou, China.

B-25 #7 #402261 (The Ruptured Duck) 95th Bomber Sq : Tokyo
Pilot : Lt Ted W. Lawson
Co-Pilot : Lt D. Davenport
Navigator : Lt C. L. McClure
Bombardier : Lt R. S. Clever
Engineer Gunner : Sgt D. J. Thatcher
1 WIA, plane ditched at sea in Changshu, China.

B-25 #8 #402242 95th Bomber Sq : Tokyo
Pilot : Capt Edward J. York
Co-Pilot : Lt R. G. Emmens
Navigator : Lt N. A. Herndon
Bombardier : S/Sgt T. H. Laban
Engineer Gunner : Sgt D. W. Pohl
Save landing at Vladivostok, crew taken POW, interned Primorsky Krai, USSR.

B-25 #9 #402303 (Whirling Dervish) 34th Bomber Sq : Tokyo
Pilot : Lt Harold F. Watson
Co-Pilot : Lt J.M. Parker Jr
Navigator : Lt T. C. Griffin
Bombardier : Sgt W. M. Bissell
Engineer Gunner : T/Sgt E. V. Scott
Crew bailed out, plane crashed south of Nanchang, China.

B-25 #10 #402250 89th Recon Sq : Tokyo
Pilot : Lt Richard O. Joyce
Co-Pilot : Lt J. R. Stork
Navigator : Bombardier Lt H. E. Crouch
Engineer Gunner : Sgt G. E. Larkin Jr
Gunner : S/Sgt E. W. Horton Jr
Crew bailed out, plane crashed northeast of Quzhou, China.

B-25 #11 #402249 (Hari Kari-er) 89th Recon Sq : Yokohama
Pilot : Capt Ross R. Greening
Co-Pilot : Lt K. E. Reddy
Navigator : Lt F. A. Kappeler
Bombardier : S/Sgt W. L. Birch
Engineer Gunner : Sgt M. J. Gardner
Crew bailed out, plane crashed northeast of Quzhou, China.

B-25 #12 #402278 (Fickle Finger) 37th Bomber Sq : Yokohama
Pilot : Lt William M. Bower
Co-Pilot : Lt T. Blanton
Navigator : Lt W. R. Pound Jr
Bombardier : T/Sgt W. J. Bither
Engineer Gunner : S/Sgt O. A. Duquette
Crew bailed out, plane crashed northeast of Quzhou, China.

B-25 #13 #402247 (The Avenger) 37th Bomber Sq : Yokosuka
Pilot : Lt Edgard E. McElroy
Co-Pilot : Lt R. A. Knobloch
Navigator : Lt C. J. Campbell
Bombardier : Sgt R. C. Bourgeois
Engineer Gunner : Sgt A. R. Williams
Crew bailed out, plane crashed northeast of Quzhou, China.

B-25 #14 #402297 89th Bomber Sq : Nagoya
Pilot : Maj John. A. Hilger
Co-Pilot : Lt J. A. Sims
Navigator Bombardier : Lt J. H. Macia Jr
Radio Gunner : S/Sgt E. V. Bain
Engineer Gunner : S/Sgt J. Eierman
Crew bailed out, plane crashed southeast of Shangrao, China.

B-25 #15 #402267 (TNT) 89th Bomber Sq : Kobe
Pilot : 1/Lt Donald G. Smith
Co-Pilot : Lt G. P. Williams
Navigator Bombardier : Lt H. A. Sessler
Flight Surgeon : Lt T. R. White MD
Engineer Gunner : Sgt E. J. Saylor
Crew non injured, plane ditched at sea in Changshu, China.

B-25 #16 #402268 (Bat Out of Hell) 34th Bomber Sq : Nagoya
Pilot : Lt William G. Farrow
Co-Pilot : /Lt R. L. Hite
Navigator : Lt G. Barr
Bombardier : Cpl J. DeShazer
Engineer Gunner : Sgt H. A. Spatz
Crew bailed out and was captured (Japs), plane crashed south of Ningbo, China.

On April 1 1942, the 16 modified bombers, their five-man crews and Army maintenance personnel, totaling 71 officers and 130 enlisted men, were loaded onto the USS Hornet at the Naval Air Station Alameda. Each aircraft carried four specially constructed 500-pound (250 Kg) bombs. Three of these were high-explosive munitions and one was a bundle of incendiaries. The incendiaries were long tubes, wrapped together in order to be carried in the bomb bay, but designed to separate and scatter over a wide area after release. Five bombs had Japanese friendship medals wired to them, medals awarded by the Japanese government to US servicemen before the war. Each bomber launched with two .50 Cal (12.7 MM) machine guns in an upper turret and a .30 Cal (7.62 MM) machine gun in the nose. One simulated gun barrel mounted in the tail cones, intended to discourage Japanese air attacks from behind. The aircraft were clustered closely and tied down on the Hornet’​s flight deck and in the order of launch.

Cap-Francis-Stuart-LowOperation Planing – January 1942

Things started moving ahead when Capt Francis S. Low, Assistant Chief of Staff for antisubmarine warfare, knocked on US Fleet commander Admiral Ernest King’s door on the evening of January 10 1942. Low had spent much of his career in the undersea service before he landed on the admiral’s staff. On that day, he had what he later described as a foolish idea, but given the dark early days of the war he thought it was at least worth a mention. Francis Low had just returned from Norfolk, where he had observed planes practicing takeoffs on an airfield marked up to resemble a carrier deck.

If the Army has some plane that could take off in that short distance, he asked King, why could we not put a few of them on a carrier and send them to bomb the mainland of Japan ? Might even bomb Tokyo !

FADM_Ernest_J._KingLow waited for the notoriously irascible admiral to brush him off or worse but to his surprise the Admiral leaned back in his chair thinking. Low, he finally answered, that might be a good idea. Discuss it with Duncan and tell him to report to me ! Low immediately phoned Capt Donald Duncan, King’s air operations officer, and arranged for the two of them to meet the next morning. As a fellow US Naval Academy graduate, Duncan held a master’s degree from Harvard. He had served as navigator on the carrier Saratoga (CV-3), executive officer of at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, and later commanded the first escort carrier of the Navy, the Long Island (CVE-1).

There are two big questions that have to be answered first, Low explained. My first question is as follows. Can an Army medium bomber land aboard a carrier, and can this land-based bomber loaded down with bombs, gas, and crew take off from a carrier deck ? Duncan considered the questions, explaining that a carrier deck was too short for a bomber to land. Furthermore, the fragile tail would never handle the shock of the arresting gear nor would landing bombers fit on the aircraft elevator.

Donald_DuncanAnd my second question is Low pressed I’ll have to get back to you ! Duncan started right away, searching for what, if any, bomber could handle such an operation. Low had initially suggested the bombers might return to the carrier and ditch in the water, though Duncan’s study showed it would be better if the planes could fly on to airfields in China.

Since intelligence indicated that Japanese patrol planes flew as far as 300 miles offshore, America would need a bomber that could launch well outside that range, strike Tokyo, and still have enough fuel to reach the mainland. Duncan reviewed the performance data of various Army bombers before settling on the B-25 Mitchell. Not only would its wings likely clear the island, but with modified fuel tanks the B-25 could handle the 2400-mile range (3860 KM) and still carry a large bomb load. Duncan next turned to ships. The Pacific Fleet had just four flattops : the Enterprise (CV-6), the Lexington (CV-2), the Yorktown (CV-5), and the Saratoga (CV-3). Another one, the Hornet (CV-12), a new carrier, was undergoing shakedown in Virginia.

He knew she would report to the Pacific at about the time it would take to finalize such an operation. Low had recommended the use of a single carrier, but Duncan realized the mission would require two. With the cumbersome bombers crowding the Hornet’s flight deck, a second flattop would have to accompany the task force to provide fighter coverage, along with more than a dozen cruisers, destroyers, and oilers. Lastly, a check of historical data revealed a likely window of favorable weather over Tokyo from mid-April to mid-May. When Duncan concluded his preliminary study, he and Low presented the results to King. The aggressive admiral liked what he heard. Go see General Arnold about it, and if he agrees with you, ask him to get in touch with me, King ordered. And don’t you two mention this to another soul !

USS Enterprise (CV-6) was the seventh US Navy vessel to bear the name. Colloquially called ‘The Big E’, she was the sixth aircraft carrier of the USN. A Yorktown-class carrier, she was launched in 1936 and was one of only three American carriers commissioned before World War II to survive the war (the others being the Saratoga and the Ranger). She participated in more major actions of the war against Japan than any other United States ship. These actions included the Attack on Pearl Harbor (18 dive bombers of VS-6 were over the harbor; 6 were shot down with a loss of 11 men—she was the only American aircraft carrier with men at Pearl Harbor during the attack and the first to sustain casualties during the Pacific War), the Battle of Midway, the Battle of the Eastern Solomons, the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands, various other air-sea engagements during the Guadalcanal Campaign, the Battle of the Philippine Sea, and the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Enterprise earned 20 battle stars, the most for any US warship in World War II, and was the most decorated US ship of World War II. She is also the first American ship to sink an enemy warship during the Pacific War when she sank Japanese submarine I-70 on 10 December 1941. On three occasions during the Pacific War, the Japanese announced that she had been sunk in battle, inspiring her nickname ‘The Grey Ghost’. (Photo : USS Enterprise (CV-6) underway towards the Panama Canal on October 10 1945)(Wikipedia)

USS Lexington (CV-2), nicknamed ‘Lady Lex’, was an early aircraft carrier built for the US Navy. She was the lead ship of the Lexington class; her only sister ship, Saratoga, was commissioned a month earlier. Originally designed as a battle cruiser, she was converted into one of the Navy’s first aircraft carriers during construction to comply with the terms of the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922, which essentially terminated all new battle ship and battle cruiser construction. The ship entered service in 1928 and was assigned to the Pacific Fleet for her entire career. Lexington was at sea when the Pacific War began on December 7 1941, ferrying fighter aircraft to Midway Island. Her mission was cancelled and she returned to Pearl Harbor a week later. After a few days, she was sent to create a diversion from the force en route to relieve the besieged Wake Island garrison by attacking Japanese installations in the Marshall Islands. The island surrendered before the relief force got close enough, and the mission was cancelled.

A planned attack on Wake Island in January 1942 had to be cancelled when a submarine sank the oilier required to supply the fuel for the return trip. Lexington was sent to the Coral Sea the following month to block any Japanese advances into the area. The ship was spotted by Japanese search aircraft while approaching Rabaul, New Britain, but her aircraft shot down most of the Japanese bombers that attacked her. Together with the carrier Yorktown, she successfully attacked Japanese shipping off the east coast of New Guinea in early March. Lexington was briefly refitted in Pearl Harbor at the end of the month and rendezvoused with Yorktown in the Coral Sea in early May. A few days later the Japanese began Operation Mo, the invasion of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, and the two American carriers attempted to stop the invasion forces. They sank the light aircraft carrier Shōhō on May 7 during the Battle of the Coral Sea, but did not encounter the main Japanese force of the carriers Shōkaku and Zuikaku until the next day.

Aircraft from Lexington and Yorktown badly damaged the Shōkaku, but the Japanese aircraft crippled the Lexington. A mixture of air and aviation gasoline in her improperly drained aircraft fueling trunk lines (which ran from the keel tanks to her hangar deck) ignited, causing a series of explosions and fires that could not be controlled. Lexington was scuttled by an American destroyer during the evening of May 8 to prevent her capture. The wreck of Lexington was located in March 2018 by an expedition led by Paul Allen, who discovered the ship about 430 nautical miles (800 km) off the northeastern coast of Australia in the Coral Sea. (Photo : US Navy Martin T-4M-1 aircraft of Torpedo Squadron 1B (VT-1B) are launching from the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Lexington (CV-2) in 1931. Note the “four-stacker” (Clemson/Wickes-class destroyer) in the upper right corner)(Wikipedia).

USS Yorktown (CV-5) was an aircraft carrier commissioned in the United States Navy from 1937 until she was sunk at the Battle of Midway in June 1942. She was named after the Battle of Yorktown in 1781 and the lead ship of the Yorktown class which was designed after lessons learned from operations with the large converted battle cruiser Lexington class and the smaller purpose-built USS Ranger. She was sunk by Japanese submarine I-68 on 6 June 1942 during the Battle of Midway. (Wikipedia)

USS Saratoga (CV-3), was a Lexington-class aircraft carrier built for the US Navy during the 1920s. Originally designed as a battle cruiser, she was converted into one of the Navy’s first aircraft carriers during construction to comply with the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922. The ship entered service in 1928 and was assigned to the Pacific Fleet for her entire career. The Saratoga and her sister ship, the Lexington, were used to develop and refine carrier tactics in a series of annual exercises before World War II. On more than one occasion these exercises included successful surprise attacks on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. She was one of three prewar US fleet aircraft carriers, along with Enterprise and Ranger, to serve throughout World War II. Shortly after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the Saratoga was the centerpiece of the unsuccessful American effort to relieve Wake Island and was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine a few weeks later. After lengthy repairs, the ship supported forces participating in the Guadalcanal Campaign and her aircraft sank the light carrier Ryūjō during the Battle of the Eastern Solomons in August 1942. She was again torpedoed the following month and returned to the Solomon Islands area after repairs were completed.

In 1943, the Saratoga supported Allied forces involved in the New Georgia Campaign and invasion of Bougainville in the northern Solomon Islands and her aircraft twice attacked the Japanese base at Rabaul in November. Early in 1944, her aircraft provided air support during the Gilbert and Marshall Islands Campaign before she was transferred to the Indian Ocean for several months to support the British Eastern Fleet as it attacked targets in Java and Sumatra. After a brief refit in mid-1944, the ship became a training ship for the rest of the year. In early 1945, the Saratoga participated in the Battle of Iwo Jima as a dedicated night fighter carrier. Several days into the battle, she was badly damaged by kamikaze hits and was forced to return to the United States for repairs. While under repair, the ship, now increasingly obsolete, was permanently modified as a training carrier with some of her hangar deck converted into classrooms. The Saratoga remained in this role for the rest of the war and was then used to ferry troops back to the United States after the Japanese surrender in August. In mid-1946, the ship was a target for nuclear weapon tests during Operation Crossroads. She survived the first test with little damage, but was sunk by the second test. (Wikipedia)

USS Hornet (CV-8), the seventh ship to carry the name Hornet was a Yorktown-class aircraft carrier of the US Navy. During World War II in the Pacific Theater, she launched the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo and participated in the Battle of Midway and the Buin-Faisi-Tonolai Raid. In the Solomon Islands campaign, she was involved in the capture and defense of Guadalcanal and the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands where she was irreparably damaged by enemy torpedo and dive bombers. Faced with an approaching Japanese surface force, the Hornet was abandoned and later torpedoed and sunk by approaching Japanese destroyers. The Hornet was in service for a year and six days and was the last US fleet carrier ever sunk by enemy fire. For these actions, she was awarded four service stars, a citation for the Doolittle Raid in 1942. Her Torpedo Squadron 8 received a Presidential Unit Citation for extraordinary heroism for the Battle of Midway. (Wikipedia)

Arnold jumped at the idea, assigning his staff troubleshooter, Doolittle, to oversee the Army Air Forces’ role in the raid, including the modification of the bombers to include three added fuel tanks. Doolittle and Duncan both agreed that the B-25 was the only suitable bomber, but the question remained whether one could, in fact, take off from a carrier.

On the frigid Sunday afternoon of February 1 1942, Duncan reported to the Hornet, moored alongside Pier 7 at Norfolk Naval Operating Base. Arnold’s staff had ordered three B-25s with the ‘best combat crews available’ to report to Norfolk no later than January 20; ‘Airplanes will have combat equipment installed, less bombs’. The plan called for the first B-25 to take off carrying only a full load of gas. The second bomber would then roar down the flight deck with a medium load, followed lastly by a fully loaded plane : ‘Successive takeoffs will, of course, be gauged by the preceding ones’. A burned-out engine on the eve of the test had sidelined one of the bombers. In following Admiral King’s order for secrecy, the Hornet’s deck log contains no record of the bombers being hoisted aboard. The following morning, as a light snow began to fall, the Hornet slipped out of port escorted by the destroyers Ludlow (DD-438) and Hilary P. Jones (DD-427).

First up was Army Lt John Fitzgerald, who released the brakes and charged down the flight deck at 1327. Duncan watched nervously as the B-25 stubbornly remained on deck. Just a few feet before the edge of the deck the bomber finally climbed into the skies. The experience felt much different for Fitzgerald in the cockpit. When I got the signal to go, I let the brakes off and was airborne almost immediately, he later recalled. The wing of my plane rose so fast I was afraid I’d strike the ship’s ‘island’ over the flight deck. But I missed it. Lt James McCarthy went next. He throttled up the B-25’s engines, released the brakes, and roared into the skies, this time in just 275 feet. The Hornet returned to port and Duncan hurried back to Washington, thrilled his calculations were correct. There was a six foot clearance between the wing tip and the island, he wrote in a two page memo to Admiral King. This did not seem to bother the pilots, as both airplanes maintained perfectly straight courses on the take-off run and appeared to be under excellent control.

Duncan reported that the Hornet could carry between 15 and 20 bombers, depending on whether the Navy wanted to leave enough deck space to operate a possible squadron of fighters. King reviewed the memo, scrawling a single word of approval across the bottom in pencil : Excellent. Doolittle meanwhile had arranged for his volunteer airmen—drawn from several squadrons with the 17-BG in Pendleton, Oregon to train at Eglin Field in the Florida Panhandle. In advance of the airmen’s arrival, the Army had likewise reached out to the Navy’s Bureau of Aeronautics : It is requested that a Naval aviator, experienced in the art of taking heavily loaded airplanes off from the deck of a carrier, be available at Eglin Field, Valparaiso, Florida, from March 1 to March 15, for the purpose of instructing Army pilots in this art.

The Navy had answered that request with Lt Henry Miller, a former Saratoga pilot who worked as a flight instructor and personnel officer at Naval Air Station Ellyson Field near Pensacola. Over several weeks, Miller drilled Doolittle’s men. It became an intense competition to see who could take off in the shortest distance with the greatest load, recalled Lt Bower, one of the raid’s pilots. The only weight we had for the airplane was .50 Cal ammunition in boxes, and people, so one man would make his attempt and record the distance, and then we’d all climb in the next airplane and load it up a little more, and see whether we could best that distance.

Doolittle-Raid-Map(The Final Planning)

As Miller wrapped up the airmen’s training, Duncan flew to Pearl Harbor to see Pacific Fleet commander Admiral Chester Nimitz on March 19. The sole record of Duncan’s secret visit was the terse notation in Nimitz’s Gray Book, the admiral’s detailed operational diary : arrived for conference. The audacious operation existed only in the form of a handwritten plan, one so secretive that Duncan refused to allow even his trusted secretary to type it. I had been told by Admiral King to tell Admiral Nimitz that this was not a proposal made for him to consider but a plan to be carried out by him, Duncan recalled. So that cleared up any matter of whether we should do it or not; it was on the books by then.

Nimitz understood the incredible risk involved in a raid against Tokyo – his own staff had even proposed and then nixed just such an idea in February. Japanese attacks on Pearl Harbor and the Philippines had wrecked two of America’s three fleets. Even with the addition of the Hornet, the backbone of America’s Pacific defense rested on just five aircraft carriers, half the number Japan counted.

Two of America’s five Pacific carriers – the flattops Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto so hungered to destroy – would steam to within 400 miles of the enemy’s homeland. The opportunities for disaster were numerous. This strike force would have to thread its way across the Pacific in complete radio silence, avoiding the constellations of Japanese bases that stretched from the Marianas to New Guinea. Enemy fighters, bombers, and reconnaissance planes crowded the skies, while warships, patrol craft, and submarines plowed the Pacific waters, any one of which could jeopardize the mission.

But as Duncan had made things clear with Admiral Nimitz that had no choice because the mission was a go. He asked Vice Admiral William Bull Halsey Jr if he thought the operation would succeed. They’ll need a lot of luck, Halsey replied. Nimitz then asked if Halsey was willing to lead the task force. Yes, I am. Good, Nimitz replied. It’s all yours ! On the eve of the task force’s departure, Halsey flew to San Francisco to review the operation with Doolittle. During the three-hour conference on Mar 30, in a room at the Fairmont Hotel atop Nob Hill, Halsey and Duncan walked Doolittle through the Navy’s plan. The submarines Trout (SS-202) and Thresher (SS-200) would scout weather conditions and search out enemy naval forces the surface ships might encounter. The Hornet, two cruisers, four destroyers, and an oiler would depart Alameda on Apr 2 as Task Force 16.2 under the command of Capt Marc Mitscher.

After flying back to Pearl Harbor, Halsey would put to sea on April 7 in command of Task Force 16 (TF-16), consisting of the carrier Enterprise, plus another two cruisers, four destroyers, and a second oiler. The two task forces (16.1 and 16.2) would rendezvous at sea on April 12 to create TF 16. These 16 warships would then steam toward Tokyo, refueling some 800 miles from Japan. At that point the oilers would remain behind while the carriers, cruisers, and destroyers steamed to within 400 miles of the enemy’s capital.

Task Force 16 (TF-16), was one of the most storied task forces in the US Navy, a major participant in a number of the most important battles of the Pacific War. It was formed in mid-February 1942 around the Enterprise (CV-6), with Vice Admiral William F. Halsey in command of the force, and supported by two cruisers, the Salt Lake City (CA-25) and the Northampton (CA-26), along with a half-dozen destroyers. The task force’s first mission was to shell Wake Island and Marcus Island, then, joined by Hornet (CV-8) and the rest of Task Force 18 (TF-18), in April the force conducted the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo. In May Halsey was ordered to join Task Force 17 (TF-17) in the Coral Sea, but the Battle of the Coral Sea was over before TF-16 could join in.

Halsey was then hospitalized with a skin disease, so Rear Admiral Raymond A. Spruance took over TF-16 and along with TF-17, led it to victory in the Battle of Midway. In August, the task force supported the landings on Guadalcanal, then fought in the Battle of the Eastern Solomons, followed by the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands in October, the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal in November, and covered the retreat of TF-18 after the Battle of Rennell Island. In March 1943, TF-16.6 fought the Battle of the Komandorski Islands, then bombarded Attu in April, and the whole force supported the recapture of the Aleutians in the Battle of Attu. In 1944 and 1945, the task force was a refueling unit consisting of destroyer escorts and oilers. ((Wikipedia)

(Order of Battle US Navy – Doolittle Raid)

CV-6 USS Enterprise (Aircraft Carrier),(see above)

CV-8 USS Hornet (Carried B-25 bombers), (see above)

CA-25 USS Salt Lake City (Heavy Cruiser), was a Pensacola-class cruiser, later reclassified as a heavy cruiser, sometimes known as ‘Swayback Maru’ or ‘Old Swayback’. She had the (unofficial) distinction of having taken part in more engagements than any other ship in the fleet. She was also the first ship to be named after Salt Lake City, Utah. She was laid down on June 9 1927, by the American Brown Boveri Electric Corporation, a subsidiary of the New York Shipbuilding Corporation, at Camden, New Jersey; launched on January 23 1929, sponsored by Mrs Helen Budge, a granddaughter of the leading Mormon missionary, William Budge; and commissioned on December 11 1929, at the Philadelphia Navy Yard with Captain Frederick Lansing Oliver in command. After the war, the Salt Lake City was used in evaluating the effects on surface vessels during an initial test with an aerial atomic bomb burst on July 1 and during the second test of a subsurface burst on July 25. Surviving two atomic bomb blasts, she was decommissioned on August 29 and laid up to await ultimate disposal. She was sunk as a target hull on May 25 1948, 130 mi off the coast of Southern California and struck from the Naval Vessel Register on June 18 1948.

CA-26 USS Northampton (Heavy Cruiser), was the lead Northampton-class cruiser in service with the US Navy. She was commissioned in 1930, originally classified a light cruiser because of her thin armor but later reclassified a heavy cruiser because of her 8-inch guns. During World War II she served in the Pacific and was sunk by Japanese torpedoes during the Battle of Tassafaronga on November 30 1942. She was named after the city of Northampton, Massachusetts, the home of former President Calvin Coolidge.

CA-44 USS Vincennes (Heavy Cruiser), was a US Navy New Orleans-class cruiser, sunk at the Battle of Savo Island in 1942. She was the second ship to bear the name. She was laid down on January 2 1934 at Quincy, Massachusetts, by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Company’s Fore River plant, launched on May 21 1936, sponsored by Miss Harriet Virginia Kimmell (daughter of Joseph Kimmell, mayor of Vincennes, Indiana), and commissioned on February 24 1937, Captain Burton H. Green in command. The New Orleans-class cruisers were the last US cruisers built to the specifications and standards of the Washington Naval Treaty of 1922. Such ships, with a limit of 10,000 tons standard displacement and 8-inch caliber main guns may be referred to as ‘treaty cruisers’. Originally classified a light cruiser when she was authorized, because of her thin armor, the Vincennes was reclassified a heavy cruiser, because of her 8-inch guns. The term ‘heavy cruiser’ was not defined until the London Naval Treaty in 1930. This ship and the Quincy were a slightly improved version of the New Orleans-class design.

CL-43 US Nashville (Light Cruiser), was a Brooklyn-class cruiser. She was laid down on January 24 1935 by New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey. She was launched on October 2 1937, sponsored by Misses Ann and Mildred Stahlman and commissioned on 6 June 1938 with Captain William W. Wilson in command. After the war, the Nashville departed eastward from San Francisco on January 21 1946, and she arrived at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard for a pre-inactivation overhaul. Decommissioned on June 24, she remained in reserve until 1950. After an overhaul at the Philadelphia Naval Yard, she was sold to Chile on January 9 1951, and she served in the Chilean Navy as the Chilean cruiser Capitán Prat (CL-03) until the arrival of the Chilean destroyer Capitán Prat (1967) in 1982. Then, the old Prat was renamed Chacabuco and served until 1985.

DD-363 USS Balch (Destroyer), was a Porter-class destroyer in the US Navy. She is named for Admiral George Beall Balch. The second Balch was launched on March 24 1936 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation’s Fore River Shipyard in Quincy, Massachusetts; sponsored by Miss Gertrude Balch, granddaughter of Admiral Balch; and commissioned on October 20 1936 under the command of Commander T. C. Latimore. On December 1 1941, the Balch put to sea as a unit of Task Force 8, and remained with the Task Force after the Pearl Harbor attack. She cruised in the Pacific during the early months of the war, and participated in the bombardment of Tarawa Island, Marshall Islands (February 1 1942). Between February 1942 and June 1944, Balch performed widespread screening, patrolling, and fire support duties during the Wake Island raid (February 24 1942), the Doolittle Raid (April 18 1942), the decisive Battle of Midway (June 4–7), during which she rescued 545 survivors of the Yorktown; Guadalcanal landings (August 7–30); Attu invasion (May 11 to June 2 1943); Toem-Wakde-Sarmi landings (May 25–28 1944) and Biak Island invasion (May 28 to June 18). On July 15 1944, Balch arrived at New York. Between August 2 1944 and May 23 1945, she completed five trans-Atlantic convoy escort crossings to various North African ports. On April 12 1945, Captain Alfred Lind took command and participated in Task Group 60 until May 8 1945 (VE Day). During this time, they rescued 46 survivors from a torpedoed SS Belgium (April 14) and also anchored at Oran, Algeria, and passed thru the Straits of Gibraltar. On June 16 1945, she commenced her pre-inactivation overhaul at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She was decommissioned on October 19 1945 and scrapped in 1946.

DD-385 USS Fanning (Destroyer), was a Mahan-class destroyer, in the US Navy named for Nathaniel Fanning. Her first action was during World War II, immediately following the December 7 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor. The Fanning continued to serve in the Pacific Theatre throughout the war, and was decommissioned 14 December 1945. She was one of the last Mahan-class destroyers. the Fanning and the USS Dunlap were built from the same basic Mahan design but slightly modified. Some sources refer to them as the Dunlap-class destroyers. The Fanning was decommissioned under the command of Commander Earnest “Bud” Conant at Norfolk, Virginia, on December 14 1945 and later sold.

DD-397 USS Benham (Destroyer), was the lead ship of her class of destroyers and the second ship of the US Navy to be named for Andrew Ellicot Kennedy Benham. It missed the attack on Pearl Harbor, being an escort for the USS Enterprise on its way to Midway at the time. It also served off Hawaii during the Doolittle raid, rescued survivors from several ships, and operated during the Battle of Midway and the landings on Guadalcanal, among other missions. It was torpedoed and rendered unusable, for which she was sunk at the end of 1942.

DD-398 USS Ellet (Destroyer), was a Benham-class destroyer in the US Navy during World War II. She was named for five members of the Ellet family of Pennsylvania who rendered service during the American Civil War : Col Charles Ellet, Jr.; Brig Gen Alfred W. Ellet; Col Charles R. Ellet; Lt Col John A. Ellet; and Edward C. Ellet. The first two officers commanded the Ellet Ram Fleet. The Ellet was launched on June 11 1938 by the Federal Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey; sponsored by Miss Elvira Daniel Cabell, granddaughter of Col Charles Ellet, Jr.; and commissioned on February 17 1939 under the command of Lieutenant Commander F. J. Mee. When hostilities ended, the Ellet was repairing at Mare Island. She was decommissioned there on October 29 1945, and sold on August 1 1947.

DD-433 USS Gwin (Destroyer), a Gleaves-class destroyer, was the third ship of the US Navy to be named for Lieutenant Commander William Gwin, an American Civil War officer who commanded river boats against Confederate forces in Alabama. The Gwin was launched on May 25 1940 by the Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. Jesse T. Lippincott, second cousin of Lt. Comdr. Gwin. The destroyer was commissioned at Boston on January 15 1941 under the command of Lieutenant Commander J. M. Higgins. The Gwin was sunk by a torpedo launched by a Japanese destroyer during the Battle of Kolombangara in the Solomon Islands Campaign in July 1943.

DD-434 USS Meredith (Destroyer), a Gleaves-class destroyer, was the second ship of the US Navy to be named for Jonathan Meredith, a United States Marine Corps sergeant who served during the First Barbary War. Meredith was laid down on June 1 1939 by Boston Naval Shipyard and launched on April 24 1940, sponsored by Miss Ethel Dixon Meredith. The ship was commissioned on March 1 1941 under the command of Lieutenant Commander William F. Mendenhall, Jr.

DD-435 USS Grayson (Destroyer), a Gleaves-class destroyer, was the only ship of the US Navy to be named for Rear Admiral Cary Travers Grayson, who served as personal physician and aide to President Woodrow Wilson during World War I. He also served as chairman of the American Red Cross from 1935 until his death on February 15 1938. The Grayson was laid down on July 17 1939 by the Charleston Navy Yard, South Carolina and launched on August 7 1940; sponsored by Mrs. Alice Gertrude Gordon Grayson Harrison (Mrs. George Leslie Harrison), widow of Rear Admiral Grayson. The ship was commissioned on February 14 1941, under the command of Lieutenant Commander Thomas M. Stokes in command.

DD-436 USS Monssen (Destroyer), a Gleaves-class destroyer, was the first ship of the US Navy to be named for Mons Monssen, who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions aboard the USS Missouri (BB-11) in 1904. Commissioned in 1941, the destroyer saw service during World War II in both Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The Monssen was sunk at the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal on November 13 1942.

AO-22 USS Cimarron (Oiler) was a Cimarron-class oiler serving with the US Navy and the second ship to be named for the Cimarron River in the Southwestern United States. She was launched on January 7 1939 by Sun Shipbuilding and Drydock Company, Chester, Pennsylvania; sponsored by Mrs. William D. Leahy; and commissioned March 20 1939 under the command of William W. Behrens, Sr.

AO-25 USS Sabine (Oiler) was a Cimarron-class fleet replenishment oiler serving in the US Navy, was the second ship named for the Sabine River on the Texas-Louisiana border. The Sabine was laid down on September 18 1939 as SS Esso Albany, MC hull 10, by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation, at the Bethlehem Sparrows Point Shipyard, Sparrows Point, Maryland; launched on April 27 1940; sponsored by Miss Ellen Klitgaard; renamed the Sabine on September 19 1940; acquired by the Navy through purchase on September 25 1940; and commissioned on December 5 1940 under the command of Edmund W. Strother.

We discussed the operation from every point of view, Doolittle recalled. We tried to think of every contingency that might possibly arise and have an answer to that contingency. If the task force was within range of Japan, the bombers would immediately take off, execute the mission, and hopefully reach China or get picked up by submarines.

If the task force was within range of either Hawaii or Midway, the bombers would take off for those destinations. The worst case scenario called for crews to push the B-25s overboard to clear the Hornet’s deck so the Navy could launch fighters. This was understandable and I accepted this possibility, Doolittle wrote. After all, if the two carriers, the cruisers, and the destroyers were lost, it would mean the end of American naval strength in the Pacific for a long time. The Navy was, therefore, taking an extraordinary risk in our attempt to bring the war to the Japanese homeland.

The warships pulled anchor one by one the morning of April 2 as a heavy fog hung low over the bay. In a single column separated by a thousand yards, the task force navigated through the gate of the antisubmarine net, then passed beneath the Golden Gate Bridge at 1113, the majestic red symbol of San Francisco that divided the bay from the Pacific. Sailors lined the flight deck as the Hornet headed to sea, a scene captured in the diary of Army engineer-gunner S/Sgt George Larkin : as we passed under the great Golden Gate Bridge, we wondered if we would see it again.

Once at sea, Navy Lt Stephen Jurika Jr briefed Doolittle and his men. No one knew the sprawling Japanese capital better than Jurika, who had served as an assistant naval attaché in Tokyo in the years before the war. Jurika had spent much of that time preparing target maps. As an aviator I was interested in more than just ships, he recalled, I became also interested in targets. Oil depots, chemical plants, and blast furnaces. The industrial might that powered a nation and its war machine would prove the Achilles’ heel in a life-and-death struggle and in Japan’s capital and sprawling suburbs, the studious attaché had found such industry everywhere. Each time I drove from Tokyo down toward Yokohama, going through the fantastic industrial district of Kawasaki, I would take a different route and go by the petro-chemical factories, the chemical factories, the iron and steel mills, and see for myself where these big things were located, factories that covered hundreds of acres. It was really unending, just one succession of one big factory after another, all the way down.

On April 13, Vice Admiral William F. Halsey’s flagship USS-Enterprise joined. Task Force 16.1 and 16.2 merged to form Task Force 16 as planned. Halsey had been delayed by bad weather in his return to Pearl Harbor, setting back his departure. On the afternoon of April 17, the slow oilers refueled the task force, then withdrew with the destroyers to the east while the carriers and cruisers dashed west toward their intended launch point in enemy-controlled waters east of Japan. In the dark predawn morning of April 18, radar men began to pick up small Japanese surface craft, part of a picket line that served as an early-warning alarm system in case of an American raid.


In an unusual ceremony on the eve of the raid, Mitchell crews look on as Hornet skipper Capt Marc Mitscher hands Doolittle medals that Japanese dignitaries had presented to visiting US sailors. The lieutenant colonel then attached them to the 500-pound bomb for return delivery to Japan.



Each new day carried the task force another 400 miles closer to Japan. Radio men hunched over receivers 24 hours a day, monitoring Tokyo’s commercial stations to decipher news and broadcast routines, while officers and crew manned battle stations at dawn and dusk. Mitscher ran his sailors through countless drills, from gunnery and damage control to abandon-ship exercises. The Navy’s rigorous practice at times irked some of Doolittle’s men. It seemed to me, recalled Sgt Bourgeois, that every time I started to sleep or eat that damn General Quarters would sound off.

Halsey ordered the task force to avoid any contact, proceeded in radio silence, hoping to prolong a fight as long as possible. Every hour, every mile now mattered. Hornet lookouts spotted another picket boat. At 0738, Task Force 16 was sighted by the Japanese picket boat #23 Nittō Maru, a 70-ton patrol craft, which fired off a message to Tokyo : 2 enemy carriers sighted. Position, 600 nautical miles east of Inubosaki. Almost instantly, the #23 was destroyed then sunk by gunfire from the USS Nashville. The chief petty officer who captained the boat committed suicide rather than be captured, but five of the 11 crew survived. They were picked up by the Nashville.

On the Enterprise, Halsey flashed a message to the Hornet : Launch the planes. Then to Col Doolittle and gallant command, good luck and God bless you all !.

Doolittle and the Hornet skipper, Capt Mitscher, decided to launch the B-25s immediately (170 nautical miles farther from Japan than planned). After re-spotting to allow for engine start and run-ups, Doolittle’s aircraft had 467 feet (142 m) of takeoff distance. Although none of the B-25 pilots, including Doolittle, had ever taken off from a carrier before, all 16 aircraft launched safely between 0820 and 0919. (B-25 #16 had been included only as a reserve, intended to fly along as an observation and photographic platform, but when surprise was compromised, Doolittle decided to use all 16 aircraft in the attack.)

(Take off Order – Plane – Target – Pilot)

#01-402344, Tokyo, Lt Col James H. Doolittle; #02-402292, Tokyo, Lt Travis Hoover; #03-402270, Tokyo, Lt Robert M. Gray; #04-402282, Tokyo, Lt Everett W. Holstrom; #05-402283, Tokyo, Capt David M. Jones; #06-402298, Tokyo, Lt Dean E. Hallmark; #07-402261, Tokyo, Lt Ted W. Lawson; #08-402242, Tokyo, Capt Edward J. York; #09-402303, Tokyo, Lt Harold F. Watson; #10-402250, Tokyo, Lt Richard O. Joyce; #11-402249, Yokohama, Capt Charles Ross Greening; #12-402278, Yokohama, Lt William M. Bower; #13-402247, Yokosuka, Lt Edgar E. McElroy; #14-402297, Nagoya, Maj John A. Hilger; #15-402267, Kobe, Lt Donald G. Smith; #16-402268, Nagoya, Lt William G. Farrow.


#01 – 40-2344 – Tokyo – Lt Col James H. Doolittle takes off.

The B-25s then flew toward Japan, most in groups of two to four aircraft before flying single file at wave-top level to avoid detection. The aircraft began arriving over Japan about noon Tokyo time, six hours after launch, and bombed 10 military and industrial targets in Tokyo, two in Yokohama and one each in Yokosuka, Nagoya, Kobe and Osaka. Although some B-25s encountered light antiaircraft fire and a few enemy fighters over Japan, no bomber was shot down. Only the B-25 of Lt Richard O. Joyce received any battle damage, minor hits from antiaircraft fire. B-25 #04 (Lt Everett W. Holstrom) jettisoned its bombs before reaching its target when it came under attack by fighters after its gun turret malfunctioned. At least one Japanese fighter was shot down by the gunners of the Whirling Dervish, (#09) piloted by Lt Harold Watson. Two other fighters were shot down by the gunners of the Hari Kari-er, (#11) piloted by Capt Ross Greening. Many military targets were strafed by the bombers’ nose gunners.

Tokyo : smoke rises from strikes on the Japanese mainland as the bombs dropped by Doolittle’s raiders hit their targets on Apr 18 1942


Fifteen of the sixteen aircraft then proceeded southwest along the southern coast of Japan and across the East China Sea toward eastern China, where several fields in Zhejiang province were supposed to be ready to guide them in using homing beacons, then recover and refuel them for continuing on to Chongqing, the wartime Kuomintang capital. The primary base was at Zhuzhou, toward which all the aircraft navigated, but Halsey never sent the planned signal to alert them, apparently because of a possible threat to the task force. One B-25, (#08) piloted by Capt Edward J. York, was extremely low on fuel, and headed instead for the closer Soviet Union.

Damage to the intended military targets was modest, and none of the planes reached the Chinese airfields (though all but a few of their crewmen survived). However, the Japanese high command was deeply embarrassed. Three of the eight American airmen they had captured were executed. Spurred by Combined Fleet commander Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, they also resolved to eliminate the risk of any more such raids by the early destruction of America’s aircraft carriers, a decision that led them to disaster at the Battle of Midway a month and a half later.

Fifteen planes crash landed; the crew who flew to Russia landed near Vladivostok, where their B-25 was confiscated and the crew interned until they managed to escape through Iran in 1943. Doolittle and his crew, after safely parachuting into China, received assistance from John Birch, an American missionary in China; Doolittle subsequently recommended Birch for intelligence work with Gen Claire Chennault’s Flying Tigers.

B-25 #01 #402244
Lt Col J. H. Doolittle, 34-BS, crashed N Chuchow, China
B-25 #02 #402292
Lt T. Hoover, 37-BS, crash landed Ningpo, China
B-25 #3 #402270
Lt R. M. Gray, 95-BS, crashed SE Chuchow, China
B-25 #4 #402282
Lt E. W. Holstrom, 95-BS, crashed SE Shangjao, China
B-25 #5 #402283
Capt D. M. Jones, 95-BS, crashed SE Chuchow, China
B-25 #6 #402298
Lt D. E. Hallmark, 95-BS, ditched at sea Wenchu, China
B-25 #7 #402261
Lt T. W. Lawson, 95-BS, ditched at sea Shangchow, China
B-25 #8 #402242
Capt E. J. York, 95-BS, interned Primorskkai, Siberia
B-25 #9 #402203
Lt H. F. Watson, 34-BS, crashed S Nanchang, China
B-25 #10 #402250
Lt R. O. Joyce, 89-BS, crashed NE Chuchow, China
B-25 #11 #402249
Capt C. R. Greening, 89-BS, crashed NE Chuchow, China
B-25 #12 #402278
Lt W. M. Bower, 37-BS, crashed NE Chuchow, China
B-25 #13 #402247
Lt E. E. McElroy, 37-BS, crashed N Nanchang, China
B-25 #14 #402297
Maj J. A. Hilger, 89-BS, crashed SE Shangjao, China
B-25 #15 #402267
Lt D. G. Smith, 89-BS, ditched at sea Shangchow, China
B-25 #16 #402268
Lt W. G. Farrow, 34-BS, crashed S Ningpo, China

Following the Doolittle Raid, most of the B-25 crews who had reached China eventually achieved safety with the help of Chinese civilians and soldiers. Of the sixteen planes and 80 airmen who participated in the raid (with the single exception of Capt Edward York and his crew (40-2242), which landed in Russia and was interned with his crew), all either crash-landed, were ditched or crashed after their crews bailed-out. Nevertheless, 69 escaped capture or death, with only three KIA (Killed in Action) as a result of the loss of their aircraft. When the Chinese helped the Americans escape, the grateful Americans in turn gave them whatever they had on hand. The people who helped them paid dearly for sheltering the Americans. Eight Raiders were captured (POW), but their fate wasn’t fully known until 1946. Accounted for as KIA shortly after the raid was Cpl Leland D. Faktor, the flight engineer/gunner on Lt Robert M. Gray’s crew, (40-2270). The citation for his posthumous DFC reported that after Faktor successfully bailed-out with the rest of his crew over mountainous terrain near Sui-Chang, Chekiang Province, China, he was killed shortly afterwards when he fell down a cliff.

The crews of two aircraft (ten men in total) were unaccounted for : Hallmark’s crew and Farrow’s crew. On Aug 15 1942, the United States learned from the Swiss Consulate General in Shanghai that eight of the missing crew members were prisoners of the Japanese at the city’s Police Headquarters. Two crewmen drowned after crash-landing in the ocean. On Oct 19 1942, the Japanese announced that they had tried the eight prisoners and sentenced them all to death, but said several had received commutation of their sentences to life imprisonment. No names or details were given. The story of the missing crews was revealed in February 1946 during a war crimes trial held in Shanghai to try four Japanese officers charged with mistreating the eight captured crewmen. It was learned that two of the missing crewmen, S/Sgt William J. Dieter and Sgt Donald E. Fitzmaurice, drowned when their B-25 crashed into the sea. The other eight were captured : Lts Dean E. Hallmark, Robert J. Meder, Chase Nielsen, William G. Farrow, Robert L. Hite, George Barr, Cpls Harold A. Spatz and Jacob DeShazer. On Aug 28 1942, pilot Hallmark, pilot Farrow, and gunner Spatz faced a war crimes trial by a Japanese court for strafing and murdering Japanese civilians. At 1630 on Oct 15 1942, they were taken by truck to Public Cemetery Number 1, and executed by firing squad.

The other captured airmen remained in military confinement on a starvation diet, their health rapidly deteriorating. In Apr 1943, they were moved to Nanking, where Meder died on Dec 1 1943. The remaining men, Nielsen, Hite, Barr and DeShazer, eventually began receiving slightly better treatment and were given a copy of the Bible and a few other books. They were freed by American troops in Aug 1945. Four Japanese officers were tried for war crimes against the captured Doolittle Raiders, found guilty, and sentenced to hard labor, three for five years and one for nine years. DeShazer graduated from Seattle Pacific University in 1948 and returned to Japan as a missionary, where he served for over 30 years. The total raid casualties : 3 KIA : 2 off the coast of China, 1 in China; 8 POW : 3 executed, 1 died in captivity, 4 repatriated. George Barr died of heart failure in 1967, Chase Nielsen in 2007, Jacob DeShazer on Mar 15 2008, and the last, Robert L. Hite, died Mar 29 2015.

Air Force Academy cadets Robert Breen and Gabriel Perez lay a wreath next to the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders memorial at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio as part of a 75th anniversary ceremony, April 18, 2017. The memorial attended by Lt. Col. (Ret.) Richard E. Cole, the sole surviving member of the Doolittle Raiders, honored the 80 volunteers who flew 16 B-25 bombers to strike the Japanese mainland from the USS Hornet aircraft carrier, turning the tide of World War II. (U.S. Air Force photo/Wesley Farnsworth)

US Naval Institute (James Scott)

Dear reader,

You have probably see the quality of the work in this archive. The quality of the layout and the images as well. This is only possible because some of you takes the time to put some coins in the Juke-Work. Remember that the whole thing is a one-man work. Not even some kind of US 501-C etc …! I am doing alone, a remake of Rio Bravo, just when Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Walter Brennan and John Wayne are singing “Just my Rifle, Pony and Me”. In fact I could sing “Just my Keyboard, my Brain and your Donations”. That’s what keep this site alive and online. One last very important point! For God’s sake, if you have anything relevant to this archive, and I repeat – anything – do not leave that treasure in the dust of an old cardboard box in the shadow of an attic. If it’s a few photos, papers, badges or whatever, send them to me. If it comes to more important things contact me.

For all purposes :
European Center of Military History
Gunter ‘Doc Snafu’ Gillot
rue des Thiers 8
Francorchamps 4970
Email : gunter [at]

Thank You for your support !


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.