The 6th Cavalry Group (Mecanized), under the command of Col Edward M. Fickett and consisting of the 6th Cavalry Squadron and the 28th Cavalry Squadron, landed in France on July 10 1944. The group was trained for the mission of establishing the Army Information Service for General George S. Patton’s Third Army while in England and in Normandy. In July 1944, the Third Army became operational with the 6th Cavalry Group attached. Until November 1 1944, the group operated the AIS (Army Information Service), performing an invaluable mission for the Army Commander in keeping him completely informed as to the activities and location of his forward troops. This information was obtained by front line patrols and reported back by radio and telephone, direct to the 3A’s G-3. Early in November 1944, the 6th Cavalry was reinforced as a mobile task force to be employed by the 3A. The operation of the AIS was continued, but on a reduced scale until December 1. On this day, the Group was committed in a wooded area northeast of Saint-Avold, Department of the Moselle, in France, a city somewhere west of Saarbrucken. After taking Carling in France then Lauterbach in Germany, the Group pushed rapidly to the east of the Saar and Moselle Rivers in the vicinity of Völklingen, just over the Germany border. The group was relieved of this mission on December 24 by the 106th Cavalry Group (Mez). The 6th Cavalry Group then moved with the 3A for the Battle of the Bulge, were the 6th Squadron entered the line on the right flank of the 4th Armored Division southeast of Bastogne, while the 28th Cavalry Squadron with Group Headquarters, proceeded to Recogne.
The mission assigned was that of locating the enemy force in the Bastogne area and of determining the limit of enemy advance. The 6th Cavalry Squadron rejoined the Group at Recogne 2 days later, and went into action on the left (west) flank of the 28th Cavalry Squadron. A 6th Cavalry Squadron officer patrol made the first contact with British forces to the north, thus determining the limit of enemy advance. On December 30, the Group from Bastogne and Recogne went back to the east and entered the line between the 35th Infantry Division and 26th Infantry Division in the Lintange – Surré area in Luxembourg where it remained until Janvier 13 1945. During this period, the group assisted in reducing an enemy pocket which had been holding up the corps’ advance.
On January 9 – 10 1945, the group advanced through :
thus enabling the infantry on the flanks to advance and reduce a dangerous enemy pocket. For this action the 6th Cavalry, with attached units, received the Presidential Unit Citation. The group then advanced with the III Corps through Wiltz and Wilmerwiltz to the Our River.
On February 3 1945, it took over a sector from Clervaux to Vianden. The group then returned to VIII Corps control and advanced through Vianden, Waldhof and Falkenstein, capturing 312 concrete pillboxes in the vicinity of Bauler. The group then slugged its way through Waxweiler, and east to Lasel. Moving north it was in the middle of the surrender of the German Army west of the Rhine in the vicinity of Spessart – Andernach. The next mission was to screen along the west bank of the Rhine in the Koblenz – Boppard area. The 6th Cavalry Group crossed the Rhine River through the 87th Infantry Division at Boppard with the mission of reaching the autobahn south of Giessen as soon as possible – this advance of 50 airline (150 ground) miles was made in 2 1/2 days.
Next mission, in early April was mopping-up operations along the autobahn toward Berlin in the Eisenach, Gota, Erfurt, Weimar, and Neumark areas. Relieved here, the group moved to the south flank of the corps in the vicinity of Adorf. The 6th Cavalry remained in defensive positions until May 7 1945 when it attacked through Adorf, Mareneukirchen and Erlbach. On May 8 1945 all forward advance of the group ceased as the war ended.
History and Activation of the 6th Cavalry Group
The 3rd Cavalry Regiment was re-designated August 3 1861 as the 6th Cavalry. Assigned August 15 1927 to the 3rd Cavalry Division it was relieved on December 1 1939 from assignment to the 3rd Cavalry Division. Reorganized and re-designated as the 6th Cavalry Mechanized Regiment on July 21 1942 the Unit was broken up January 1 1944 and its elements reorganized and re-designated as follows : Hqs & Hqs Troop as Hqs & Hqs Troop, 6th Cavalry Group, (Mecz), 1st Squadron as 6th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron (Mecz) and the 2nd Squadron as 28th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, (Mecz). After Jan 1 1944 the above units underwent changes as follows : Hqs & Hqs Troop, 6th Cavalry Group, Mechanized, converted and re-designated May 1 1946 as Hqs & Hqs Troop, 6th Constabulary Regiment
1st Squadron, 6th Cavalry Regiment
A Company, 3rd Cavalry was re-designated on August 3 1861 as A Company, 6th Cavalry. The 6th Cavalry was assigned August 15 1927 to the 3rd Cavalry Division. Consolidated October 14 1929 with Troop D, 6th Cavalry (organized in 1861) and consolidated unit designated as Troop A, 6th Cavalry (6th Cavalry relieved December 1 1939 from assignment to the 3rd Cavalry Division). Reorganized and re-designated on July 21 1942 as Troop A, 6th Cavalry, Mechanized, reorganized and re-designated January 1 1944 as Troop A, 6th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized and converted and re-designated on May 1 1946 as Troop A, 6th Constabulary Squadron.
2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry Regiment
B Company, 3rd Cavalry was re-designated on August 3 1861 as B Company, 6th Cavalry. Organized on Aug 16 1861 at Camp Scott, Pennsylvania (Cavalry companies officially re-designated as troops in 1883) (6th Cavalry assigned August 15 1927 to the 3rd Cavalry Division; relieved December 1 1939 from assignment to the 3rd Cavalry Division). Reorganized and re-designated July 21 1942 as Troop E, 6th Cavalry, Mechanized and reorganized and re-designated as Troop F, 6th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized on January 1 1944. Converted and re-designated May 1 1946 as Troop E, 6th Constabulary Squadron.
6th Cavalry Honors – Civil War
– Cold Harbor
– Virginia 1862
– Virginia 1863
– Virginia 1864
– Virginia 1865
– Maryland 1863
– Pine Ridge
– Oklahoma 1874
– Texas 1874
– Arizona 1876
– Arizona 1881
– Arizona 1882
– New Mexico 1882
– Colorado 1884
War with Spain
China Relief Expedition
– Streamer without inscription
– Streamer without inscription
– Mexico 1916-1917
World War I
– Streamer without inscription
World War II
– Northern France
– Central Europe
World War One
While the 6th Cavalry was busily engaged in chasing Pancho Villa across Mexico, the Central Powers and the Allies were locked in a death struggle in Europe which quickly spread across the lands and oceans of the world. Our ships were searched in mid-ocean, were interned in ports and eventually were sunk on the high seas. Preparedness Day, quickly followed President Woodrow Wilson’s earlier statement on America’s position : too proud to fight. And finally America, too, found herself on the road to war : the war to end war. When the United States entered the war in 1917, the 6th immediately re-equipped and recruited moved to Camp Merritt, New Jersey. On March 16 1918, the Regiment sailed for sunny France aboard the USS-Adriatic. And it was in France that the 6th US Cavalry, one of the fighting force in the Regular Army units in the world, received a bitter pill to swallow, it was relegated to rear echelon jobs as Mps at the front. The Armistice was signed before the 6th, as a unit went into action. The Regiment was stationed at Gievres and Vendome, France, until it returned to the States on June 29 1919. As compensation for the summer cruise trip to Europe, the 6th was given the streamer France for its standard.
Between the World Wars
Upon the 6th return from France, the Regiment was permanently stationed at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., which was to be its longest stay in its history : twenty-three years. Those years of peace worked a gradual metamorphosis from a hard-riding, hell-for-leather outfit into a spit-and-polish organization. Polo became fashionable and the 6th polished its riding to enter, and win, many horse show events. Bridle paths replaced the dusty trails and danger which was once commonplace with the Regiment. Officers and men alike sported blue uniforms. The Fighting Sixth was taking a breather. But that was the picture from only one side. On the other were the training years which closed annually with marches or maneuvers. The Regiment, at the close of these training years, would march to Alabama, Tennessee and South Carolina and back to Oglethorpe, hundreds of miles which served to separate the men from the boys. In 1933 the Sixth furnished officers and men to organize and instruct the newly formed CCC companies. In 1935, 1936 and 1937 the Regiment again participated in annual maneuvers at Fort Benning and exemplified the cavalry, especially its shock action and mobility, to thousands of infantry commanders. In 1938 the Sixth formed President Roosevelt’s guard of honor at Gainesville, Ga., and Chattanooga, Tenn., during the president’s visits.
Sixth Armored Cavalry Regiment – The Fighting Sixth
In the late 1930s the skies in the East and West darkened and intermittent flashes and occasional rumblings in the far distance were seen and heard by some observers. Rumors of gigantic armored armies in the totalitarian nations were passed – to be believed by some and ignored by others. Army people were not the last to know nor to believe – but any major change in tactics, strategy and logistics is never attained with an internal fight, as witness the recent Navy – Air Force debate. So it was with the cavalry – did modern warfare with its planes and armored columns relegate the horse to a secondary role or even no role at all ? To resolve these questions, the Sixth was chosen to add machines to its horse units to test the best and worst points of each, working singly and together. What they were searching for was the best means of reconnaissance for corps. The new organization of the Sixth was one horse squadron, one mechanized squadron (2 scout car troops and one motorcycle troop), a service troop with trucks and Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, mechanized. The horse squadron was made more road mobile by giving them trailer-type vans accommodating eight horse and the equipment of the troopers. From the time of its new organization in Dec 1939, until late 1941, the Regiment trained and maneuvered. It was found that the horse squadron couldn’t keep up with vehicles, never enjoyed a break and was too complex to operate with vehicles. This, combined with the blitzkrieg tactics of General Patton’s 2nd Armored Division in the three-month 1941 maneuvers, spelled the doom of horse cavalry as corps reconnaissance.
World War Two
By September 1943, most of the British troops had moved out of the area and things were becoming slightly more normal. Suddenly there was great excitement with the arrival of American troops. They were mainly from the Southern states of America, especially Virginia, Georgia and Carolina. The first US troops to arrive in Gilford were black soldiers, and were billeted in the Orange Hall on Stramore Road. They were an advance party of the United State 6th Cavalry Regiment, who were to prepare for the main body of troops who would arrive six weeks later. When they first arrived they were marched through Gilford, escorted by what appeared to be a group of United States marines, wearing blue jackets, orange gaiters and crepe-soled boots. These men had sailed from the USA on the Queen Mary, and arrived on September 25 in the Firth of Clyde, Scotland. From there they moved to Markethill, Co Armagh, from where this advance detachment made arrangements for the reception and housing of main troops at Tandragee Castle, Bannvale at Gilford, and Gilford Castle. The rest of the Regiment back in the USA (the remaining 1556 enlisted men, 4 warrant officers and 78 officers), completed their physical examinations, received immunizations, and left New York harbor on the Queen Elizabeth on Oct 13 1943. At the outbreak of war the Queen Elizabeth was still an unfinished luxury liner, it had been loaned to the US, and was loaded to double capacity for this trip. It was so crowded it was necessary for the men to divide their time between the regular cabin bunks and the covered decks. Because of its great speed, the ship was able to travel without convoy, and zigzagged across the North Atlantic in five days, completing the voyage without incident. The men arrived at Greenock, Scotland, on October 18, 1943, remained aboard ship for a further day and then left for Northern Ireland. The Regimental Staff, Headquarters Troop, and sixteen men from each of the other troops, arrived in Belfast October 20. They then traveled by rail to Tandragee station (the Madden). Headquarters Troop moved into Tandragee Castle the following morning, and the detachments from each troop moved into their respective areas and began preparations to guide the troops upon arrival. They showed up the following day.
The 1st Squadron, Troop A, B, E, and their Medical Detachment was stationed at Gilford Castle. The medical corps occupied the high field which ran at right angles to the previously used Wall Road Camp, and overlooked the back of the Castle. A hospital was built on this site. The 2nd Squadron consisting of Headquarter Detachment 2nd Squadron, Troops C, D, and their Medical Detachment were moved into the Bannvale Camp in Gilford. Racial segregation was still rife in America at this time, and the arrival of these new troops meant that the black soldiers of the Advance party were moved to the premises at Stramore Farm, originally used by the R.E.M.E.’s, as the Orange, Masonic and British Legion Halls were needed for the other men. Unfortunately within the past two years the buildings at Stramore Farm, where these men were billeted, have been demolished, for in an upstairs room, although very dirty and well worn, were a number of wall murals depicting “G.I. Jane” type paintings. One wall also bore the names of the soldiers who were billeted there, and there were also beams in the room on which was written “MIND YOUR HEADS” and “CARBON.” Fortunately the man who demolished the building rescued the large pieces of one mural, and rebuilt it at his own home in Portadown. Others have been photographed. It is thought possible that the murals may have been painted by Joe Ben Wheat, from Chicago whose name was found on one of the walls. On his return to America he became academically famous for his anthropological studies of the patterns and history of Native American quilts etc. It took a few months for the new Americans troops to settle in. There were numerous road marches, extensive firing courses, physical and mental toughening and routine housekeeping details to be undertaken. Eventually their vehicles and armored cars arrived, and on Armistice Day 1943, the entire Regiment, including the Gilford troops, formed in Tandragee to pay tribute to the soldiers who had fallen in WW-1.
The 6th Cavalry Regiment in Tandragee – Armistice Day 1943
Many local families befriended the young men, and welcomed them into their homes, hopefully making their stay in Gilford as happy as possible. Even the animals were friendly and near the end of the year, a litter of collie pups was born on an old pair of overalls in the Commander’s quarters at Gilford Castle. The men adopted one of the puppies and called it “Shamrock.” It remained with the American soldiers throughout the rest of the war. Christmas was quiet for the men, although there were lots of informal parties and dances held in Bannvale and in outbuildings at Elmfield. Sweets, cakes, and soap were donated by the soldiers from their personal rations, and given to the local children. The two Gilford Camps swarmed with children all day. Although local families befriended the young Americans, they did miss their own families especially at Christmas and local Post Office staff recall how they were kept busy with young soldiers sending telegrams back home at this time. At the end of 1943 the Regiment was reorganized, and the final parade of the old 6th Cavalry Regiment was held on December 31 1943 in Tandragee. Under the new reorganization it became the Sixth Cavalry Group, the Sixth Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, and the 28th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron. Gen George S. Patton carried out an informal inspection tour of the US troops in Northern Ireland at this time, and was guest-of-honor at a dance in Tandragee Castle. He commented how much he enjoyed the 6th Cavalry band playing at the event, and perhaps not surprisingly, a short time later the band was transferred and became the 61st Army Ground Forces Band. While in the area Gen Patton visited the American troops at Gilford Castle and also at the Gilford Bannvale camp. After reorganization, training continued with map exercises, combat courses, crew drills, communications and command post exercises, as well as mounted and dismounted marches. Finally at the end of May 1944 the Cavalry left Gilford for England, and eventually crossed the English Channel on July 8 and 9, disembarking on Utah Beach in France on D 33. The ships crossed with two convoys, each comprising craft of all types, screened from above by Allied fighter aircraft. No enemy aircraft or surface vessels were encountered throughout the voyage.
World War Two – Narrative
As 1st Squadron, 6th Cavalry Regiment (Horse-Mechanized), assigned to 3rd Cavalry Division until 1 December 1939; regiment re-designated 6th Cavalry Regiment (Mechanized) 21 July 1942. and finally re-designated as 6th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, 6th Cavalry Group, on 1 January 1944, arrived in Normandy on July 9-10 1944, out posted the 3A’s command post and functioned as part of the 3A’s Information Service August 1 – December 1 1944. The unit patrolled near Thionville, France, attached to 3rd Cavalry Group in late September, participated in 3A’s winter offensive 1-16 December near Volklingen, Germany, provided flank protection to the 4th Armored Division during the drive to Bastogne beginning December 24 and remained in Bulge area.
After having performed an exacting mission under difficult conditions for a period of nearly two weeks, the Sixth Cavalry Group (Mechanized) (Reinforced) was committed the night of January 8-9 1945, on a 5000 yard front along the general line Villers-La-Bonne, Evan, Betlange Farm, Furham with the mission of aggressive patrolling to follow up any enemy attempts to withdraw. When it became apparent on the morning of January 9 that the Germans had so organized the ground that it was impossible for the infantry on both flanks to advance, the Sixth Cavalry Group (Mechanized) (Reinforced) attacked on its own initiative and over and above the requirements of its mission. In order to make this attack successful against numerically superior forces and a well dug-in enemy, a special task force was constituted, composed of elements of the various components of the Group. This task force spearheaded the attack and the Sixth Cavalry Group (Mechanized) (Reinforced), making full use of the mobility and firepower, captured the towns of Betlange and Harlange. The attack, continuing through the night despite bitter cold and deep snow, was delayed only by serious obstacles, including mines and blown bridges in the vicinity of Watrange. At daylight, January 10, these obstacles were quickly by-passed and the Sixth Cavalry Group drove on. Taking finely calculated risks, all leaders made maximum use of firepower in relentlessly seeking out and destroying the enemy. Open flanks were ignored by small units in the interest of speed. This speed, plus the aggressive fighting spirit of all personnel, made possible the capture of the towns of Lutremange, Watrange and Tarchamps and the zone assigned to the Sixth Cavalry Group was cleared quickly. Having completed its mission, and by doing so, making possible the advance of the units on its flanks, the Sixth Cavalry Group, in furtherance of the Corps plan, requested and was granted permission to advance far beyond its original objective. The Sixth Cavalry Group drove on and assisted in the capture of Soniez. Following, the group operated also along the Siegfried Line and west of Rhine River until March 29, advanced then across the Fulda River toward Eisenach in early April, shifted to 1A on April 22 and ended it’s war on the old German – Czechoslovakian border.
Long before V-E Day arrived, the Allies had apportioned Germany and Austria into four zones each and assigned one of these zones to each of the four big powers of United States, Great Britain, France and Soviet Russia. Military governments had been set up and waited for long months for the end of the war, ready to step into the devastated and beaten land and return law and order. The military governments were to carry the big stick of occupying troops, to make certain that Germany would abandon the low road of fascism and take the high road of democracy. On May 8 1945, when hostilities ceased, the 6th Cavalry Group found itself on the Czechoslovakian – German border. As a Regular Army unit it was selected to remain in Germany for occupation duty. Soon after hostilities ceased, two squadrons marched to Berlin for a four month period. Upon returning to Bavaria, their main duties included maintenance of road blocks, motor patrols and the guarding of various US installations within their area of responsibility. The second major reorganization of the Regiment took place on May 1 1946 when it was re-designated the 6th Constabulary Regiment. The Squadrons became the 6th and 28th Constabulary Squadrons, were joined by the 53rd Constabulary Squadron and in June, the 13, the 13th Constabulary Squadron. The US Constabulary was designed to perform the specific duties of an occupying force. On July 1 1946, the regiment assumed the responsibility for security along most of the US Zone of Germany, as well as a large interior area. Their main duties were to quell the Black Market, patrol borders, and police the Citizenry. Their vehicles were M-8 Armored Cars, jeeps, and motorcycles. Striped helmets and yellow scarves marked the colorful mounted parades through the streets of various cities and towns. During September 1948, the Regimental Headquarters moved to Straubing, relieving the 11th Constabulary Regiment (now the 11th Armored Cavalry) for the second time (the first being at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in 1919).
On 20 December 1948, with the first phase of the occupation completed, the 6-CG was again reorganized, re-equipped, and re-designated as the 6th Armored Cavalry. Armored Cars and motorcycles gave way to light and medium tanks and jeeps. Squadrons and Troops became Battalions and Companies. The organization and equipment became substantially the same as the regiment has today. In 1949, the regiment participated in five large scale field training exercises and maneuvers. With the outbreak of hostilities in Korea, the tension and training increased. Grafenwohr, Camp de Munsingen and Hohne became as familiar as the home stations of Deggerndorf, Landshut, Straubing and Regensburg. Although faced by 172 rugged mountain miles of border to patrol, the regiment found time to assist the German People. During the terrible floods of the Danube River each spring, troops worked around the clock on mercy missions; however, regimental assistance was not limited to times of disaster. Orphanages and schools were helped materially each Christmas as officers and men donated freely and wrote home for clothing and other necessities for the children.
German Rifle and Shooting Clubs often listed the names of Sixth Cavalrymen as members. Hunting and fishing parties found Germans and Americans side by side. German-American ladies clubs helped promote good relations. War and hatred faded as the years rolled by and friendships grew. On a cold rainy day in February 1957, as the Sixth staged its final review before returning to the United States, it was presented a large silver shield by the Bavarian Government. The shield bears the inscription To The Sixth Armored Cavalry Regiment -The Shield of Bavaria- For Its Outstanding Service in Bavaria, 20 November 1948 – 17 March 1957, Dr. Wilhelm Hoegner, Minister President of Bavaria. It symbolized the warm friendship which had arisen during the post-war years between the regiment and the people it had helped to conquer and remained to protect. This is the only known official recognition given an American unit by a state of Germany since prior to World War II. Thus the Fighting Sixth ended its tour on the easternmost outpost of democracy as it again exchanged duty stations for the third time with the 11th Armored Cavalry under Operation Gyroscope. After an absence of almost 14 years, the regiment returned to American soil aboard the USNS Geiger and the USNS Buckner, arriving in New York late in March 1957. Fort Know, Kentucky was to be our new home.
Its first major mission at the Home of Armor was to furnish logistical support to Reserve and National Guard Units during their summer training periods. The 2nd Battalion, reinforced by members of the other battalions cordoned the streets of Williamsburg, Virginia, during the visit of Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain in October 1957. Following the Queen’s visit, the troops participated in the reenactment of the Battle of Yorktown (Virginia). Some wore the white uniforms of the French while others portrayed the Colonial American Forces. Their outstanding performance brought personal praise from President Eisenhower and a letter of appreciation from the Secretary of the Army, Mr. Wilber M. Brucker. The Regiment began writing a new chapter in its history in early January 1958 as 1400 young men reported to begin their military training. Upon completion of their Basic Training they sail for Europe and the 11th Armored Cavalry. The words of General Pershing are still true The traditions of the old Army and the duties of the hour were our creed. From garrison to combat, as the duties of the hour shall dictate, the Fighting Sixth will maintain the highest traditions of the Army as it has during the 98 years of its valiant history.
General Orders : June, 20, 1945
1. For as long as each of us shall live we shall hear the unceasing praise of men and nations ringing in our ears — praise for the victory the armies of The United Nations have won, the tribute of civilization for the freedoms our force of arms has preserved in ancient Europe. This honor is the appreciation of the world to you, men of the 6th Cavalry Squadron.
2. You know, as I, that this acclaim was won in the flood of those whom we left on each battlefield. I shall ever remember with you : The concussion and crack of our guns trying to silence the German Reply at Carling; The miserable, cold, glowing, stinking silence of Christmas Night, 1944, at Tintange and Bigonville; The ice-lined, drift-filled foxholes in front of the little mill at Betlange; The convergence of our tracers on German targets as we rolled across the snow into Tarchamps; The deep drifts, steep pine forests north and south of Eschweiller; The appearance of those pill-boxes across the Our River and the way we eased across, covered by a mantle of fog at Stolzembourg; The impregnable Siegfried Line and our passage through it; The barrages that fell on Wasweiller as we fought in and out of the valley; and, damnit, the same thing again at Lasel; The confusion of that night march to Spessart; The debacle at Andernach; The day we rolled across the Rhein, the roadblocks en route to Zolhaus, the dumbfounded Germans in the valley up to Panrod, the way we got to Giessen and Langgons; How we got around Werdau and later took the place; The end run around Zwickau to cut the Autobahn; Our three column into Adorf, and the roads that disappeared where we stopped in the Czecholslovakian border on VE-day.
3. Those rewards which come to me as your Squadron Commander are the praise of men and of the United States for what you have accomplished. The reward which is mine and mine alone is the honor of having served as Commander of the Sixth Cavalry Squadron. For each round you fired; each yard you progressed; for each patient minute on each outpost; for each bold second that you attacked; for each bolt, gear, and valve you kept running; for each word or signal you sent by electric impulse through the air, each mouthful of food you provided; each drop of gasoline you brought forward; each order and report you wrote for me; each paper you processed; each letter you typed – for these things I owe my everlasting appreciation. This I cannot express.
4. With reluctance and with a sentiment that I shall never again share with you, I leave my assignment as your Commander, and turn over my reins to the qualified hands of those who helped me through our campaign across Europe. May the blessings of God, men, and history continue to smile upon you whatever time and the nation guides the future of the Sixth Cavalry Squadron – always, DUCIT AMOR PATRIAE.
SAMUEL McC Goodwin
Lt. Col., Cavalry
At the end of World War II, Schweinfurt’s flugplatz was renamed Conn Barracks in honor of 2/Lt Orville B. Conn, Jr. in 1947. Lieutenant Conn was the first World War II casualty of the Sixth Cavalry Group, killed in action on August 10, 1944, in Normandy, France. The Panzer Kaserne was renamed Ledward barracks in honor of Lt Col William J. Ledward. Lt Col Ledward was killed in action in Italy, June 1944. He was Commanding Officer of the 27th Armored Field Artillery Bn.