7th Armored Division (77-AMB)(Medical) (AAR) 09/44-05/45



77th Medical Battalion Armored
Subject : Unit History
To : Commanding General, 7th Armored Division

September 1944

(Sept 1) found us still bivouacked two miles south of Fismes, France, where we had been since Aug 29. Up to this time the battalion had been most fortunate regarding the number of casualties suffered by our own men and although many of our collecting sections had been under fire upon several occasions, our only casualty due to wounds to this date was still one, T/5 Lukowicz of A Co who was wounded the latter part of Aug. We remained in this present area until Sept 2, at which time we moved 84 miles to an area 1/2 mile north of Blercourt, France, which is located 8 miles West of Verdun, France.

(Sept 5) Lt Schini, our one surplus M.A.C. was transferred to the 17th Tank Battalion as Battalion Surgeon Assistant. The division was given a rest period for the majority of our stay in the area at Blercourt and motor maintenance plus care of personal equipment was stressed.


(Sept 8) the battalion moved a distance of 33 miles passing thru Verdun and bivouacking 1/2 mile West of Mars La Tour, France. The entire battalion was situated in this area with the exception of A Co who were bivouacked and set up in their entirety, 1 mile West of Conflans, France, in support of CCA. B Co had preceded the battalion to their present location on Sept 6, in support of CCB. Both companies A and B for the period from the 6 to the 9 of September had handled over three hundred casualties. The battalion’s second casualty occurred on the Sept 7 when Pvt Chapman of C Co who was on special duty with the 38th Medical Detachment as a litter bearer was wounded when he was shot in the left arm. On this same date the B Co half track caught on fire and burned the personal belongings of all the members of the half track in addition to causing slight damage to the vehicle itself and causing the complete destruction of the CW and FM radio therein. The half track was towed to the Maintenance Battalion for repairs and installation of new radio equipment.

(Sept 10) B Co was attached to CCB and moved a distance of 6 miles to an area 2 miles east of Chambley, France. On Sept 12, B Co treated 8 ambulance loads of patients received from both the 23rd Armored Infantry Battalion, 7th Armored Division and the 5th Infantry Division. Most of these casualties were treated for immersion due to casualties having swum across the Moselle River in withdrawing from the east side. On Sept 13, C Co moved a clearing station to Batilly, France, in support of CCR. On the 14, two (2) B Co ambulances driven by Pfc Sipsky and T/5 Sprangle were hit by shrapnel. No injuries were received by any of the men riding in either ambulance. Both ambulances at the time were supporting the 31st Tank Battalion’s Aid Station which was located on the East side of the Moselle River. Lt Stoeger, Collecting Platoon leader of A Co, while up at a forward section encountered an unusual experience. A German officer and ten enlisted men came walking from around a building with their hands upraised. He expected to find a guard at the end of the procession but it seems that the Germans were giving themselves up to him. Not being equipped with any weapons, he ran to Chaplains assistant, borrowed a weapon and kept the newly won prisoners under cover until some of the armed troops came a and took them in tow.

(Sept 14) B Co reverted back to battalion control. The division was given a new mission and A Co in its entirety returned to the battalion’s bivouac area. The C Co forward clearing section also returned to our area and B Co, with the exception of one clearing station, also returned. The clearing station that remained moved to a new area near Arnaville, France, just this side of the Moselle River.

(Sept 16) two C Co ambulances driven by Pfc Oliver and Pvt Malavolti, received shrapnel hits. One clearing section of A Co was moved to the vicinity of Bayonville, France, to be ready to cross the Moselle River if fighting forces were able to break thru and should need medical assistance closer than on this side of the river. Lt Schini joined A Co as assistant collecting platoon leader. Lt Etheridge was transferred to the 17th Tank Battalion. Lt Stoeger assumed command of the A Co collecting platoon. Lt Col Boland, our commanding officer, found some German evacuated barracks near our present bivouac area. He had the combat exhaustion platoon moved there in on the 18. Capt Vogel, the division N.P. surgeon who heads the combat exhaustion platoon, was promoted to the grade of Major. Another of C Co’s men, Pvt Charette, who was on special duty with the 38th Armored Infantry Battalion’s Aid Station, was seriously wounded when he received shrapnel wounds of the chest and back.

(Sept 20) all of C Co was moved to the vicinity of 1 mile east of Bayonville. Clearing sections of A and B Co returned to the battalion bivouac area to rejoin the main part of their companies and to be resupplied and given a chance to get refreshed. Lt Loftus of C Co was transferred to the 40th Tank Battalion and Capt Linden of B Co was transferred to the 48th Armored Infantry Battalion. Capt Durante of the 48-AIB joined B Co and Capt Abbott of the 40-TB joined C Co. A Co moved 1 mile east of Pagny, France.

(Sept 21) the battalion moved 1/2 mile southwest of Vieville-en-Haye, France. Distance traveled, 20 miles. On the 22, C Co moved to the same area occupied by A Co. Pvt Taormina of C Co who was on Special Duty with the 38-AIB was reported Missing In Action as of Sept 20. On the 23, Maj Sewell, our executive officer was transferred to the 109th Evacuation Hospital. C Co moved to the battalion area on this date. On the 24, A Co moved to our old bivouac area at Mars La Tour. On this date, the battalion furnished medical personnel replacements to the 23-AIB, the 38-AIB and the 48-AIB. The division surgeon, Lt Col Karpinski worked out a plan with Lt Col Boland whereby the medical battalion would furnish medical replacements to the medical detachments. The battalion in turn would requisition replacements for the men sent to the detachments.

(Sept 25) the battalion learned that the division was to be transferred from the 3rd US Army to the 1st US Army. We were to be part of the XIX Corps. B Co moved out this date. A day later, on the 26, the, balance of the battalion proceeded to move to join the 1A. At 1900, Lt Col Boland riding in the lead vehicle, crossed the French, Belgian border. Some of the towns we passed thru during our march were :

– Mars la Tour
– Theaucourt
– Conflans-en-Jarnisy
– Longuyon
– Longwy

– Arlon
– Bastogne
– Marche
– Huy
– Hasselt

We travelled a total of 210 miles and bivouacked 1 mile northeast of Vucht (Maasmechelen), Belgium).

(Sept 29) B Co moved out to support division troops on a new mission. The balance of battalion moved on the 30 and joined B Co, 1/2 mile north of Asten, Holland. The battalion crossed the Belgian-Dutch border at 0900 on September 30. All of C Co moved on this date to one mile south of St Anthonius (Dilsen-Stokkem), Belgium. The Battalion at the end of the month is sixteen enlisted men short, due to the replacements sent the medical detachments. We have not been assigned an executive officer as yet. A plan has been decided. upon which will work on the following basis. All replacements will be held in a pool at Headquarters of the battalion. Each letter company will be four men short who will be in the Headquarters replacement pool. When replacements are requisitioned from the medical detachments, the replacements will come from the pool. Until such time as these men are called for, they will be used by Maj Vogel in the combat exhaustion platoon to assist in taking care of combat exhaustion patients.

77th Armored Medical Bn, (AAR), 10-1944


(Oct 1) found the battalion less C Co bivouacked one half mile north of Asten. C Co was still bivouacked one mile south of St Anthonius, supporting all combat commands of the division. Lt Col Boland, our battalion commander was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for distinguishing himself by meritorious service in connection with military operations against an enemy of the United States in France from August 10 to September 15. The date of the General Orders Number 55 which included Lt Col Boland’s award was September 21 1944. On October 2, the civil affairs section of our division located a school building St Joseph school in Asten for the housing of the Combat Exhaustion Section. This school could accommodate twenty five to thirty patients.

(Oct 4) Lt Col Boland obtained permission to move the combat exhaustion section from Asten, Holland, to 2 miles south of Deurne, Belgium, where there was an evacuated German labor camp. Those barracks could accommodate one hundred or more patients in addition to B Co which was moved together with the combat exhaustion section. B Co assisted Maj Vogel with the combat exhaustion section in the care of the patients in addition to their feeding. It was necessary to have a company support the combat exhaustion section due to the fact that we were unable to obtain a collecting company or gas casualty treatment company to support this section as we had in the past. On the morning of October 6, this section had eighty seven patients. The battalion was still furnishing medical replacements for the medical detachments in the division. On October 6, B Co had two men on a special duty with the 48th Armored Infantry Battalion (Medical Detachment) and five men on special duty with the 38th Armored Infantry Battalion (Medical Detachment). Just as soon as medical replacements are received by the battalion, they will be sent to these units to replace our men who were sent there on special duty.


(Oct 7) the battalion with exception of C Co moved a distance of nine Miles to 3/4 mile south east of Heeze, Holland. A school building was found in Heeze, St Aloisilis, for the combat exhaustion section and they were moved from the vicinity of Deurne to this new locality. On the 8, C Co moved from St Anthonius area and joined the battalion in the Heeze locality. On the 8, we learned that our division reverted to Second British Army control. Tactically we were with the British 8th Corps. For rations and administration we were still under control of the American 1A.

(Oct 13) on a General Order published today, T/5 Charles S. Lukowicz, formerly of A Co, and T/5 Michael Yasse of C Co, were both awarded the Bronze Star Medal for heroic service in connection with military operations against an enemy of the United States in France. On the 15, one platoon of the 53d Field Hospital moved to the area of Heeze in support of our division. 2d Lt Frank G. Midkiff and 2d Lt William R. Williamson were both promoted first lieutenant. Both of these officers are collecting platoon leaders. The Division asked the units to submit training programs, keeping in mind training of the men in subjects that experience proved them in need of. Also special attention was to be given to all new replacements. The medical battalion inaugurated a strenuous program in all medical fields. On or about the 25, we learned that our division was now part of the 9A. Tactically we were still attached to the Second British Army.

(Oct 28) Headquarters, Headquarters Co and B Co, less the combat exhaustion section moved to the castle in Heeze. This castle was built in 1665 and is owned by Baron Van Tuijll Van Serooskerken. The battalion plan was to accommodate all non battle casualties in this castle. B Co less the section that worked with Maj Vogel in the combat exhaustion section would take care of these patients. It was felt that with the provisions made for this type of illness, we would be able to hold the men of the division in our control. Under the old plan of evacuating these men to evacuation hospitals, they were often lost to their units as the often times were reassigned to new units. Unfortunately, we had a very short stay at the castle and on the 29 of October we moved to Maarhezerhutten, Holland. A Co moved to Nederweert, Holland, where they were billeted in a school with accommodation for handling battle casualties indoors.

(Oct 31) the battalion moved from Holland to Belgium, in the vicinity of Kolis (Overpelt). The combat exhaustion platoon was moved to Budel in the St Anna School. The balance of B Co that were to handle non-battle casualties were moved in a school one mile south west of Neerpelt, Belgium. The battalion at the end of the month is short nineteen enlisted men and one Medical Officer for B Co.

Resume of its Activities in Combat
The prime and essential purpose of the Medical Department of this Division, the evacuation of wounded, while thorough and continuous, was hampered by the following factors :
l. Rapidity of movement
2. Great distances covered in advances made daily by combat elements of the Division
3. Use of multiple columns within Combat Commands
Accordingly, the whole plan of evacuation, preconceived in training and utilized during the initial weeks of combat, necessitated revamping.
Lt Col John E. Boland, MC, commanding, officer of the 77-AMB, has presented the following outline of the original plan of evacuation :

    (1) Casualty Collecting Points were to be established in the immediate vicinity of the Combat Command CP’s on the main axis of advance. These points were to be established by the Combat Command Surgeons, and all casualties from the battalion aid stations at the front would flow to these points, and then be evacuated to the second and final link of evacuation within the Division, namely the Clearing Stations.

    (2) These clearing stations, in the initial phases of this campaign, were all under direct Division control, and were habitually bivouacked, along with the remainder of the Medical Battalion, in the Division Trains area. This was based on the supposition that the Division Trains would be sufficiently near to the front, that is, within ten to twenty miles, a condition which would obtain, when more or less static phases occurred, it was found that because of the rapidity of movement and the great distances covered daily by the combat units, that ambulances frequently were required to travel distances vamping from forty miles to seventy-five miles from the casualty collecting points to the clearing stations. This resulted in a time lag which prevented the early treatment of patients, as well as discomfort produced by the long rides.

As a result, Lt Col Stephen J. Karpenski, MC, the Division Surgeon, and Lt Col John E. Boland, MC, the Medical Battalion commander, requested and received approval from G-4 for the establishment of clearing sections in advance of Division Trains. This move placed the clearing sections within comparatively easy reach of the casualty collecting points. While the Combat Commands moved in single columns over one road, this modification functioned admirably. However, with changes in tactics, such as the use of multiple columns within a single Combat Command, it was finally found that the best solution (to cope with changing situations) was to have the Combat Command Surgeon request that the clearing section move to a site which he selected. Further, the Medical Company Commander would make his own reconnaissance of the site and if found suitable, the station would be opened. In the event the Medical Company Commander felt that the proposed site was undesirable, due possibly to recent artillery fire, close proximity to a village or town from which the enemy had not yet been cleared., he would then select a more favorable site and the final decision then would be made either by the Medical Battalion commander or the Division Surgeon. This latter modification has proven to be the most satisfactory, and is in use at the present time.

The function of the Medical Department of this Division is further evaluated and is unique in the following respects :
1. The establishment of a separate Combat Exhaustion Section
2. The use of a specially designed Dental Laboratory truck, equipped to make and repair dental prosthetics in the field

The Combat Exhaustion Section was developed on a trial and error basis to fill a vital need in the careful treatment of Combat Exhaustion cases. The Table of Organization for the Division provided solely for a medical officer as the Division Neuropsychiatrist, with no provision for assistants, transportation, tentage and other equipment and necessary impedimenta. Maj B. F. Vogel, MC, the Division Neuropsychiatrist, was, however, supplied with a squad tent and six enlisted men to assist in the care of these combat exhaustion casualties. Originally, this section remained with the reserve medical company in the Division Trains area, then with a field hospital Group and finally was located with the Medical Battalion headquarters, which location was found to be the most central and easily accessible point. Due to the increasing number of casualties received as combat conditions became more intense, additional aid was acutely necessary. Lt Col Karpenski, the Division Surgeon, applied to Corps and was given, initially, a portion of a separate collecting company, and later, an entire gas treatment platoon, with ample tentage and personnel.

During the period in which the original Combat Exhaustion Section was augmented as described above, admirable results were achieved in the prompt treatment of combat exhaustion casualties, resulting in the return to duty of a considerably large percentage of these patients, which under ordinary conditions would have necessitated further evacuation and resultant loss to the Division. The dental service of the Division, prior to the current combat phase, was complete and thorough, but it was foreseen that under combat conditions with its expected increase in dental patients, better facilities would be required to provide for the prompt service on dental prosthetics. The Division Dental Surgeon, Maj William Ratowsky, DC, and one of his dental officers, Capt Paul J. Rheinfeld, DC, conceived the design and completion of a special laboratory truck, completely equipped to construct and repair dental prosthetics while in the field. This mobile unit has, as a result, provided on the spot facilities which normally would not have been available within the Division.

To further improve the medical service of the Division, a platoon of a field hospital was at times attached to the headquarters of the Medical Battalion by the Corps Surgeon. The close physical presence of such a platoon was especially of value in rapid movement of the combat elements of the Division, when the nearest evacuation hospital was located at times a hundred miles away. While originally designed to take care of only non-transportable wounded, it was necessary because of this great distance to evacuate all our casualties to the platoon of the field hospital. In its program to conserve the use of medical officers, the Surgeon General effected a change in the Table of Organization which provides for Medical Administrative Corps officers to serve as Assistant Battalion Surgeons. During the month of September, 1944, five Medical Administrative Corps officers reported to the Division; four of them were assigned as Assistant Battalion Surgeons, the remaining one being retained in the Medical battalion.

As of September 30 1944, one medical officer has died as result of wounds received in action and three enlisted men have been killed in action. They are as follows :

Died of Wounds Recieved in Action
Capt Edward J. Hackett, 0-1692285, Medical Detachment
87th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized

Killed in Action
Pvt Edward T. Gilbert, 3661599, Medical Detachment
– 38th Armored Infantry Battalion
Pvt William P. O’Rourke, 38493544 Medical Detachment
– 23rd Armored Infantry Battalion
Pvt Richard S. Butz, 38141898, Medical Detachment
– 23rd Armored Infantry Battalion

As of September 30 1944, the following decorations have been awarded to the officers and enlisted men of the Medical Department, 7th Armored Division :

Awards of Silver Star
1st Lt Raymond M. Wheeler 0-1766945 Medical Corps
T/3 William H. Easton 36169642 Medical Department
T/4 Andrew R. Adamo 32097416 Medical Department
T/4 Randolph P. Zupancic 35264615 Medical Department
T/5 Edmund J. DeCarlo 32253073 Medical Department
T/5 Kenneth F. Wood 32667671 Medical Department
Pfc Roy V. Donnelly 32257088 Medical Department
Pfc Edward R. Wright 38337509 Medical Department
Pvt Bernard. B. Chesbrough 32214846 Medical Department
T/5 Elwood R. Horn 33141875 Medical Department
T/5 Jasper J. Timmens 37459051 Medical Department

Awards of Bronze Star
Lt Col John E. Boland 0-472501 Medical Corps
Lt Col Stephen J. Karpenski 0-303731 Medical Corps
T/4 George G. Colley 32257436 Medical Department
Cpl Ellis Boalboy 36037745 Medical Department
Cpl Thomas Connor 32213552 Medical Department
Cpl John J. Farrell, Jr. 32227435 Medical Department
T/5 Thomas L. Beaird 34273234 Medical Department
T/5 Bruno Egros 33152824 Medical Department
T/5 Robert H. Doster 34192396 Medical Department
T/5 Elwood R. Horn 33141875 Medical Department
T/5 Henry J. Murphy 31123489 Medical Department
T/5 Herbert D. Winston 34230807 Medical Department
T/5 Chester B. Wolfe 15089670 Medical Department
Pfc Ralph L. Kennedy 34576273 Medical Department
Pfc Frank J. Korzisnik 36333096 Medical Department
Pfc Hyman Ochacher 32227931 Medical Department
Pfc Harold J. Schwamb 36241767 Medical Department
Pfc Walter M. Toczyski 32253273 Medical Department
Pvt Willie M. Garnett 34263614 Medical Department
Pvt Vincent Maczka 33199853 Medical Department
Pvt Ralph C. Worthington 14006004 Medical Department

Awards of Oak-Leaf Cluster to Bronze Star Medal
Cpl John J. Farrell Jr. 32227435 Medical Department
Pvt Arthur E. DeGiovano 12050919 Medical Department

Awards of Purple Heart
Capt George A. Freyberger 0-461501 Medical Corps
Capt Howard H. Ingling 0-1693772 Medical Corps
Capt Robert S. Kinoshita 0-258299 Medical Corps
Capt James E. Mazzacane 0-366007 Medical Corps
Capt Irving S. Tockman 0-485489 Dental Corps
1st Lt Morton S. Bryer 0-469386 Medical Corps
1st Lt Raymond M. Wheeler 0-1766945 Medical Corps
S/Sgt Delvin Reiss 37076252 Medical Department
T/4 Stuart H. Ahearn 32246703 Medical Department
T/4 Rudolph P. Zupancic 35284615 Medical Department
Cpl John J. Farrell, Jr. 32227435 Medical Department
T/5 Robert H. Atwood 31064288 Medical Department
T/5 Anthony C. Delpolito 32249383 Medical Department
T/5 Chester B. Wolfe 15089670 Medical Department
Pfc Byron E. Butler 34138535 Medical Department
Pfc Adolph S. Phillip 36706195 Medical Department
Pfc William C. Schnake 16146636 Medical Department
Pfc Donald O. Truance 13067415 Medical Department
Pvt William N. Conrad 37324277 Medical Department
Pvt Willie M. Garnett 34263615 Medical Department
Pvt Simon J. Hershberger 35283841 Medical Department
Pvt Paul H. Steinkuhler 37196429 Medical Department

Awards of Oak-Leaf Cluster to Purple Heart
Capt Robert S. Kinoshita 0-258299 Medical Corps

77th Armored Medical Bn, (AAR), 11-1944


(Nov 1) found the battalion less A and B Cos, bivouacked at Kolis, Belgium. A Co was still in Nederweert, Holland, billeted in a school where they had been since the October 28. B Co was billeted in a school at Héron, Belgium, where they had accommodations for the treatment of close to a hundred battle exhaustion cases and for a similar number of minor battle casualties together with non battle casualties.

(Nov 3) C Co moved to their former bivouac area, 3/4 mile south east of Heeze, Holland. The purpose of moving C Co to this locality was to handle battle casualties which could not be evacuated through the Weert route, due to impassable roads and enemy mortar fire.

(Nov 7) Hq & Hq Co. and C Co moved a distance of 50 miles to Eysden, Holland. With the completion of this move, our division was to revert from control of British Second Army to that of the American 9-A. On November 8, B Co together with their remaining patients moved to Fouron-Le-Comte (Voeren), Belgium, where an auditorium was secured in a convent for the use of the patients. With the number of remaining cases that we kept in our clearing station, we found that it was necessary to find a suitable enclosure for the shelter of these patients before moving whichever company handled the remaining cases. On the 9, A Co moved to the battalion area at Eysden. We had had several days of rain and our bivouac area was a sea of mud. After encountering extreme difficulties with the moving of vehicles in and out of the area, it was decided to move all the Cos to billets, with suitable footings for vehicles close to the homes or building occupied by the troops. Hq & Hq Co and A Co found suitable sites in the Eysden area. C Co moved to Berneau, Belgium, where they occupied part of a castle, one room of a school and several private billets. During the stay of the battalion in these billets, it was found that a much larger amount of work could be and was accomplished under these suitable conditions.

On 7-AD General Order #81, dated the November 13, Pfc Olaf Johnsrud was awarded the purple heart for wounds received as a result of enemy action on September 17 1944 in the Lorry area, France.

2d Lt Wilfred K. Campbell joined the battalion on November 14. He was assigned to B Co as assistant collecting platoon leader. Lt Sammet became motor officer of B Co with Lt Campbell’s arrival, and Lt Williamson took charge of the collecting platoon. The medical battalion for some time has been furnishing the medical replacements for the division. We had depleted each of the letter Cos to such an extent that it was felt that any further transfers would hinder the functioning’s of the Cos. We were informed through the division replacement officer that medical replacements were very scarce; further, that we might not receive medical replacements for quite some time and also that the outlook was very dark concerning the receiving of medical department replacements for the future. To offset this bottleneck, the following plan was decided.

    each Infantry Battalion would provide five members of its command to attend a school conducted by the medical battalion on basic medical subjects. It was felt that a two week comprehensive course would enable these men to perform the duties of a medical soldier. At the completion of this course, the men would be returned to their units. When a medical replacement was needed in one of these battalions, it would be furnished from these medical trained men if, at the time of the vacancy, medical replacements were not available. In addition, a number of newly received riflemen, of which there seemed to be an ample supply, would be added to this class to further offset future needed medical replacements.

At this writing, this class is now completing its second week. There are nineteen students attending this first class.

(Nov 19) 1st Sgt Bernard Schoonbeek of C Co received a battlefield appointment to the grade of 2d Lieutenant, in the Medical Administrative Corps. This was the first battlefield appointment in the history of the 77th Medical Battalion Armored. Lt Schoonbeek was assigned to “C” Co as assistant collecting platoon officer.

(Nov 23) the battalion celebrated Thanksgiving. All the companies served turkey and there was plenty for all. Hq & Hq Co and A Co each secured a hall in Eysden, Holland, where each observed the Thanksgiving holiday and served the turkey dinner. C Co had their dinner in the company area. B Co on that day moved to a new locality, a school at Berg, Holland. The move was made in the morning and the Thanksgiving dinner was held late that afternoon. On the 24, Hq & Hq Co, A and C Cos moved 22 miles to two miles south of Brunssum, (Venweg), Holland. Enough homes were found in this locality to house the three Cos. A Co however did not have suitable parking areas for their vehicles and on the following day they moved to Heerenweg, Holland, where a more satisfactory location was available. On the 25, B Co moved to a school at Heerlerheide, Holland. A great number of patients will be able to be cared for at this new location. From experience it was found that school buildings proved to be best for the care and treatment of combat exhaustion cases and combat and non combat patients.

During the month of November 1944, the following officer changes occurred in the battalion :

Capt Dante Durante transferred from B to C Co
Capt Luke J. Berardi transferred from C Co to Div Arty Command
Maj Glenn G. Hairston assigned to Battalion as BEO
Maj Joseph de Marco transferred to CCA. Maj Hairston was to remain on Special duty with CCR
2d Lt Robert Schroeder transferred to the Med. Det. of the 17th Tank Battalion

During the month of November 1944, the following officers and enlisted men received Bronze Star Medals :

S/Sgt Frank Groff
T/5 Charles Cardani (Hqs Co)
T/5 William Whiteley (Hqs Co)
2d Lt Richard Q. Stoeger (A Co)
S/Sgt Albert H. Lang (A Co)
T/4 Edward Sanders (A Co)
T/5 Theodore Kwiatkowski (A Co)
T/3 Edward Fogarty (B Co)
T/5 John L. Evans (B Co)
T/5 Ivan A. Hatt (C Co)
T/5 Paul S. Bloom (C Co)
Pfc Clarence H. Zeller (C Co)

Lt William R. Williamson was promoted to 1st Lieutenant.

(Nov 28) Lt Leo Feldman and six enlisted men from the battalion visited Paris on a 48-hour pass.

77th Armored Medical Bn, (AAR), 12-1944


(Dec 1) found Hq & Hq Co billeted at Brunssum, Holland. A Co was located two miles south of this location at Heerenweg, Holland, in a group of almost completed apartment homes known as the Herman Goering Apartments. B Co which handled combat exhaustion cases and minor injuries and illnesses was set up in a large school at Heerlerheide, Holland, with facilities to handle from one hundred to a hundred and twenty patients. C Co was located in the vicinity of Battalion Headquarters at Brunssum. The division at this time was under XIII Corps (9A). Our Corps was the most northerly unit of the American troops fighting on the western front and immediately adjacent to us were the British troops of the British Second Army. The division at this time obtained the use of one Lieutenant and five non-commissioned officers of the Belgian regular army to act as interpreters. The medical battalion was assigned one of the non-commissioned officers, Cpl Kenneth H.H. Schryvers. Certain combat elements of the division took up positions inside of Germany pending a combat mission. C Co was moved to Geilenkirchen, Germany, on December 2 so as to be in a close proximity to the fighting at such time as the division was sent forth to undertake its mission. It was also felt that since a great many of the division troops were also in that locality, that C Co would also be in an ideal spot for taking care of any casualties that resulted in the interim. C Co was set up in a former Hitlerjugend School, a nice building, but lacking a cellar. Things got pretty hot at Geilenkirchen, quite a bit of enemy artillery being poured into the town. The attack that the division was supposed to jump off on kept being delayed and German artillery falling into the city kept increasing. On December 4, two enlisted men from the 471st Ambulance Company which was supporting C Co were wounded from enemy artillery shrapnel. On December 5, C Co was moved back seven miles to Schaesberg, Holland. On December 6, Hq & Hq Co moved from Brunssum to Schaesberg, Holland. The battalion was given a quota of two (2) enlisted men to send back to the States on a thirty (30) day furlough, traveling time not included. The men were chosen on a basis of those hospitalized for wounds the most times and those men with the greatest number of combat awards. T/5 Charles S. Lukowicz of A Co, holder of the purple Heart and Bronze Star, and Pfc Alfred V. Chartier of C Co, holder of the Purple Heart, were the two men selected from the battalion. On December 8, A Co moved a clearing section to Ubach-Palenberg, Germany, to facilitate the evacuation of wounded from the division troops to the Field Hospital which supported the division.

(Dec 9) our CG, Gen Robert W. Hasbrouck, addressed the entire medical battalion. The battalion assembled in the Asta Theatre at Schaesberg. Gen Hasbrouck spoke to the men on the superb battle history of the 7th Armored Division. After the general had finished speaking to the men, he asked to have the officers remain. Gen Hasbrouck spoke to the officers about the importance of military discipline and the importance of high morale amongst the men. The general also took this opportunity in personally meeting all the officers of the battalion.

(Dec 10) B Co moved from Heerlerheide, to Schaesberg. On the following day a more suitable billet was found and the company moved to Heerlen, where an auditorium and a school building were obtained for the use of patients. On the 11, thirty men from the battalion were given the opportunity of witnessing the world premiere of the motion picture, “Saratoga Trunk”, starring Ingrid Bergman and Gary Cooper. The picture was shown at the Asta Theatre. A few days later the battalion was able to obtain the picture, to be shown to all those who were not able to witness the premiere, and this showing was also held at the Asta Theatre. We also invited troops from several close-by units to this performance. Our special service officer estimated a crowd of over eight hundred at the showing and although it was not the world premiere, it was nevertheless enjoyed heartily by all the men.

(Dec 17) the entire battalion moved from the Holland area together with the rest of the division. We were now in the 1A, VIII Corps. The division was brought to this new sector to halt a German break-thru which was pending at the time. The battalion arrived on the following morning and took up positions in the following towns;

Hq & Hq Co, Vielsalm (BE)
A and C Cos, Rencheux (BE)
B Co, Grand-Halleux (BE)

(Dec 18) A Company set up a clearing station at Beho, Belgium, to handle all division casualties. The division had been committed to action immediately upon arrival of certain combat units. The Germans were reported to be in close proximity to the Division Trains and the entire battalion with the exception of the clearing section at Beho, moved to new localities. Hq & Hq Co moved to 2 miles west of La Roche-en-Ardenne, Belgium, A Co to Gênes, Belgium, B Co at La Roche-en-Ardenne and C Co at Marcourt, Belgium. We were quite on the move these days. Usually on the day following our departure from these towns, we would hear over the radio of the town we had left being over-run by Germans. One officer and six enlisted men from B Co were injured from artillery shrapnel at La Roche. The injured were Capt Robert B. Dormire, S/Sgt Everett L. Staymates, T/5 Alvin T. Skinner, Pfc Phil T. Holt, Pfc Stanley F. Pas, Pfc Don J. McEachern and Pfc Charles F. Rex. It was only necessary to evacuate Pfc Holt and Pfc Pas. The other five received medical attention and remained on duty. They were awarded the Purple Heart on a division order published the December 23. B Co left a clearing section back at La Roche-en-Ardenne to handle any casualties occurring in that vicinity and the balance of the company moved to Marche-en-Famenne, Belgium on December 20. On this same date, Hq & Hq Co moved to Rochefort, Belgium, and C Co moved to Aye, Belgium. Lt Col Boland, our commanding officer, proceeded to Vielsalm where Division TAC Headquarters were located. He worked between division headquarters and the A Co clearing section on the evacuation of the casualties. On Wednesday morning, December 20, the clearing section of A Co was cut off from the remainder of the battalion by an enemy break-thru. In the following three days this section with two medical officers and twelve enlisted men treated and evacuated 320 casualties, part of the time being under enemy fire.

(Dec 21) A Co also moved to Aye, where C Co was located. On this day, the B Co clearing section which had remained at La Roche joined the main part of their company. On the 22, the entire battalion moved again. Hq & Hq Co moved to Aywaille, Belgium, A Co moved to Saint-Roch, Belgium, B Co moved to Florzé, Belgium, and C Co to Harzé, Belgium. The purpose of this move was to put the Cos in a closer proximity to the fighting troops of the division. This new location would also give us the use of roads which were safer for evacuation. On the 23, Hq & Hq Co moved to Stinval, Belgium.

(Dec 24) T/5 John E. Pawlak and Pvt Oliver G. Sellers, both of A Co were reported as missing in action. A thorough investigation was made to determine the whereabouts of these men. Capt Davenport of the 48th AIB saw T/5 Pawlak on the 22 in the vicinity of Rodt, Belgium. T/5 Pawlak was injured and told Capt Davenport about the Germans having intercepted his ambulance and killing his assistant driver, Pvt Oliver G. Sellers. T/5 Pawlak related how the Germans took Pvt Sellers out of the ambulance, shot him on the spot and left him lying on the road. T/5 Pawlak was put in the ambulance together with a wounded captain from CCA of our division. The ambulance then took off, driven by the Germans. One German rode on the running board and was fired on by men from Capt Davenport’s company. T/5 Pawlak was injured at that time. According to Capt Davenport, the Germans overran their position and when they evacuated their position, he assumed that T/5 Pawlak was hiding in the basement at the time. T/5 John R. McInerney of Headquarters is also missing as of December 22. He was posted as a road guide somewhere between Ohey and Huy, during the Trains march from Marche to Aywaille.

(Dec 24) B Co moved to Banneux. On the 25, A Co moved to the same building that B Co occupied in Banneux. We were now under XVIII Corps (Airborne). Each of the companies in the battalion had a big Christmas dinner. There was plenty of turkey, a pound and a half for each man. Many of the companies were able to have Christmas trees. On the 26, A and B Cos both moved to Sprimont. Capt Roman G. Schweizer of C Co was transferred to the 14th Field Hospital. Capt Jacob Koff of A Co was transferred to C Co and assumed command. Capt Onofrio Ilardi was transferred to the 176th General Hospital. Both Capt Schweizer and Capt Ilardi were transferred in accordance with the plan to rotate medical officers of the line with those in the rear unit elements.

77th Armored Medical Bn, (AAR), 01-1945


(Jan 1) found Hq & Hq Co billeted at Stinval. A and B Cos were located at Sprimont, and C Co was situated in Harzé. C Co operated the division clearing station, in support of the combat elements. The division at this time was assigned to XVIII Corps (Airborne) serving under 1A. On December 31 at 2200, Pvt Cornett and Pvt Krantz while on guard duty outside battalion headquarters, apprehended an alleged civilian who turned out to be a turret gunner of the Luftwaffe who had bailed out when his plane was hit by American flak. This was prisoner Number 1 captured by the medical battalion.

(Jan 3) T/5 John R. McInerney of Headquarters who was reported as MIA on December 22 was returned to duty. T/5 McInerney was posted as a road guide for the Trains march from Marche to Aywaille. He was not picked up by the last vehicle and when he started to hitch a ride to where he knew the battalion was located, the Military Police picked him up as a straggler and delivered him to a reinforcement depot. T/4 Donald E. Downin of C Co and Pfc Ira R. Holliday of A Co were selected as the two enlisted men from the battalion who were to go on a thirty (30) day furlough back to the states. This makes a total of four men who have gone on a thirty day furlough to the states from the battalion, two others having been selected last month. Capt James E. Mazzacane, formerly of the 48th AIB aid station was assigned to C Co on January 9. On the 10, Capt Yuko Miyauchi of the 38th AIB aid station was assigned to A Co. On the 11, B Co moved from Sprimont to Pepinster. B Co still acted as the division hospital and all combat exhaustion, non-battle and minor injury cases which could be sent back to duty within six to eight days, were held there.

(Jan 12) C Co moved to Saint-Roch. They occupied the building vacated by division headquarters. A more suitable site was found for B Co at Spa and on the 14, they were moved to that locality. B Co was now in a more suitable location for supporting the division in its forthcoming attack, and in addition was now able to handle a greater number of patients than was possible at Pepinster, due to an increase in the available space for holding patients. On the 15, A Co moved to Malmedy. A Co was to act as the division clearing station when the division started its attack. On the 18, Hq & Hq Co moved from Stinval to Spa. On the 20, C Co moved from Saint-Roch to Spa. On the 21, the division surgeon requested that a medical company be sent to the vicinity of Waimes to handle division casualties. A clearing section from A Co was sent to Waimes and remained there until the following day at which time C Co moved to Waimes and the clearing section from A Co returned to its parent unit at Malmedy.

On a general order published the 1st of January :
T/5 John E. Pawlak
Pvt Oliver G. Sellers
both formerly of A Co were awarded the bronze star medal (missing in action). Both of these men were reported MIA as of the 24 of December, in the vicinity of Rodt. On a general order published the 21st of January, the following awards of bronze star medals appeared :
Maj Glenn G. Hairston who was on special duty with CCR
Capt Joseph G. Driscoll
Lt Edwin R. Sammet
Lt William R. Williamson, Jr.
S/Sgt Francis J. Baillargeon (B Co)
Sgt James S. Gillian (A Co)
Lt Frank G. Midkiff (C Co)

On a general order published the 23rd of January,
Pfc Raymond J. Ross (C Co) received the purple heart.

On a general order published the 27th of January,
T/4 Harold H. Cooper (C Co)
T/5 Michael Yasso (C Co)
Pvt Stanley D. Bond (C Co) were awarded the purple heart.

B Co which runs the medical battalion hospital for divisional troops had an average of over two hundred patients per day for the month. They hit their peak on January 25 when they had 235 patients. During the month of November this company handled three hundred and forty seven (347) non-combat and minor battle injury cases. Of this total, 75% were returned to duty and the remaining 25% were evacuated to rear echelon hospitals. In addition for November, one hundred and twenty five (125) combat exhaustion cases were admitted to “B” Company of which 64% were returned to duty. In the month of December, five hundred and sixty four (564) non-combat and minor battle injury cases were handled. Of this total, 59% were returned to duty and 41% were evacuated back to hospitals. The combat exhaustion section handled one hundred and eighty nine (189) cases, 40% of whom were returned to duty and the balance, 60% evacuated to rear hospitals. A new plan was suggested by the division surgeon, Lt Col Karpinski by which enlisted medical personnel of the infantry, tank and engineer detachments would be rotated with personnel of the medical battalion. These men would be placed on special duty with the medical battalion for a period of 4 weeks after which they will return to their organization. The men from the medical battalion would also be placed on special duty and would return to the battalion upon the return of the personnel to the detachments. During the month, A Co cleared a total of 254 casualties, while C Co cleared 1236 casualties.

(Jan 29) the Division was relieved from the line and moved to the vicinity west of Eupen, as V Corps reserve. A program of rest, rehabilitation and training was instituted in preparation for forthcoming operations. Hq & Hq Co and A Co moved to Polleur, B Co moved to Pepinster, and C Co moved to Surister, in the Division Assembly Area.

77th Armored Medical Bn, (AAR), 02-1945


(Feb 1) found Hq & Hq Co and A Co billeted at Polleur. B Co was located at Pepinster, and C Co at Surister. The division at this time was assigned to V Corps serving under 1A. On February 4, S/Sgt Edward F. Fogarty of B Co returned to the states on a thirty day furlough. This is the fifth man from the battalion to be returned to the states on this plan. The entire battalion on two separate showings witnessed the showing of the film “Germany”. Lt Col Boland, our commanding officer was transferred to division headquarters where he assumed the position of division surgeon. Maj John A. Williams, formerly surgeon of CCB was transferred to the battalion and assumed command. Gen Hasbrouck inspected all the companies of the battalion on the 15. From all reports, the general was very pleased. On February 16, Capt Garber, CO of A Co was transferred to CCB as combat command surgeon. Capt Donald P. Beirne assumed command of A Co. On this same date, Capt Jacob Koff of C Co became temporary CCR surgeon in the absence of Maj Hairston who was on temporary leave in Paris. Capt Koff remained at CCR until February 20, at which time Maj Hairston returned. During Capt Koff’s absence, Capt Gurnee assumed temporary command of C Co.

(Feb 16) a division special order listed twelve enlisted medical department personnel composed of the tank, infantry, engineer and reconnaissance medical detachments. These enlisted men were placed on Special Duty with the battalion for a period of four weeks. The battalion in turn furnished the participating units with a corresponding number of men with similar military occupational specialties. The medical rotation plan with the division as now revised, allowed each of the tank, infantry, engineer and reconnaissance medical detachments to place on special duty with the medical battalion, ten percent of their personnel, each month.

(Feb 17) Col Adams presented the bronze star medal to Sgt James S. Gillian of A Co and also the purple heart to Cpl Ernest F. McDonald, also of A Co. At B Co, Col Adams made a presentation of the bronze star medal to Lt William R. Williamson Jr., and at C Co, a similar award to Lt Frank G. Midkiff. Col Adams took this occasion to speak to each of the companies and told the men that Gen Hasbrouck on his recent inspection was very pleased with what he found and saw at each of the companies within the battalion. Pfc Byron A. Lennox of Hq Co returned to the states on the thirty day rotation plan. Pfc Lennox had been overseas for twenty-nine months. The following officers and men were awarded the Certificate of Merit during the month of February :

A Company
– Capt John E. German
– Capt Donald P. Beirne
– T/5 Robert Dorfman
– T/5 Thomas W. Higgins
– T/5 Percy W. Carnish
– Sgt James H. Leonard
– Pfc Daniel W. Fallin
– Pfc Elbert D. Havens
– Pfc Steven C. Jurasits
– Pfc Gervase W. Klein
– Pfc Leonard A. Lewis
– Pfc Joseph W. Malinoski
– Pfc Lawrence R. Ulve
– Cpl Ernest F. McDonald

B Company
– Capt Joseph Cutchin
– 2nd Lt Thomas C. Varland
– S/Sgt Gerhard R. Starck
– T/3 Samuel Marcus
– T/4 John W. Beam
– T/5 James W. McMackin
– Pfc Raymond L. Sanders
– Pfc George M. Sutherlin
– Pfc Walter E. Tose

A program of rest, rehabilitation and training was instituted during the month. Quotas were secured for the men to visit Eupen, Verviers and Paris on two and three day passes. Pfc Joseph Bosco of A Co visited England on a seven day pass.

77th Armored Medical Bn, (AAR), 03-1945

US and German_medic_italy

(Mar 1) found Hq & Hq Co and A Co billeted at Polleur. B Co was located at Pepinster, and C Co at Surister. The division at this time was assigned to V Corps serving under 1A. On March 1, the battalion collected 9440 francs for the Allied Prisoner of War Fund. Posters had been set up at the pay tables. The men were informed as to what purposes this money would be used. In proportion to the amounts contributed by the units of the division, our battalion stood very high. On March 2, A Co moved 43 miles from Polleur to Strauch, Germany, where it acted as clearing company for the division. It set up in the field. This was the first time this company entered Germany. 1/Lt Richard Q. Stoeger, A Co, was evacuated on March 5. On March 7, Hq & Hq Co moved from Polleur to Frangenheim, Germany. The company set up in the field and had its CP in a pill-box, formerly used as a German observation post. On the same day, B Co moved from Pepinster to Niederau, Germany, where they occupied buildings. These buildings were the only ones not destroyed in the town. This was the first time for Hq & Hq Co and B Co to enter Germany. C Co moved also from Surister, to Frangenheim, where they set up in the field.

(Mar 8) at approximately 0200, Section I, C Co, moved to Ludendorf, Germany, where it was in support of CCA. Also, A Co moved from Strauch to Frangenheim, where they rejoined the battalion. Capt Joseph H. Cutchin, B Co, was evacuated at this time. The remainder of C Co moved on March 9 from Frangenheim to Ludendorf, at which time C Co became the clearing company for the division. On March 10, Hq & Hq Co moved from Frangenheim to Dunstekoven, Germany, where it occupied buildings. This was the first time that the battalion headquarters came in contact with German civilians. The Battalion Commander, Maj John A. Williams assumed charge of the town and gave the prescribed instructions and orders to the local Burgemeister on the military governing of the civilians. The civilians reacted favorably and no trouble was encountered. B Co moved from Niederau on March 10 to Heimerzheim, Germany, where they occupied a large castle. The same day, A Co moved from Frangenheim to Bad Godesberg, Germany, where they took over a German Army hospital, and again assumed the task of acting as clearing company for the division.

(Mar 11) C Co moved from Ludendorf to Dunstekoven and on March 15, Hq & Hq Co moved from Dunstekoven to Volmershoven, Germany. Capt Gordon W. Abbott, C Co, was transferred to the 250th Station Hospital, on March 21 1945, under the Medical Rotation Plan of ETOUSA. On the 22, Maj Williams left on a leave to Paris. Capt Warren E. Downing assumed command during the temporary absence of the battalion commander. Capt Downing left on March 24 for Paris where he was to attend an Instruction Officers Course at Army Information – Education Staff School, Cité Universitaire, for a period of approximately seven days. Capt William W. Stevenson of Hqs Co assumed command of the battalion in the absence of the battalion commander. Capt Theodore T. Herring, MC, was assigned to the battalion. He was placed with B Co on March 24 1945. Capt Irving W. Robinson, B Co, left on a 30 day leave to the United States, March 25 1945.

(Mar 25) the entire battalion crossed the Rhine River. Hq & Hq Co moved from Volmershoven to Rheinbreitbach, A Co from Bad Godesberg to Bruchhauser, B Co from Heimerzheim to Rheinbreitbach, and C Co from Dunstekoven to Bruchhauser. On March 26, Hq & Hq Company left Rheinbreitbach and moved to Kurmscheid, A Co moved from Bruchhauser to Niederbreiterbach and then on to Selters. C Co moved from Bruchhauser to Kurmscheid. A Co assumed the job of division clearing station. On March 27, Hq & Hq Co and C Co moved from Kurmscheid to Krummel, B Co moved from Rheinbreitbach to Selters. Maj Williams returned from Paris and resumed command of the battalion. On March 28, Hq & Hq Co left Krummel and moved to Nenderoth, B Co moved from Selters to Fronhausen; and C Co moved from Krummel to Nenderoth and thence on to Driedorf, assuming role of division clearing station. Pvt Malcolm Abrams of B Co was killed in action. A Co moved from Selters to Hohensolms.

(Mar 29) Hq & Hq Co moved from Nenderoth to Fronhausen; A Co from Hohensolms to Fronhausen; and C Co from Driedorf to Fronhausen and thence on to Rossdorf.
(Mar 30) Hq & Hq Co, A Company moved from Fronhausen to Rosenthal. The last day of the month ended by having all the companies assemble at Wetzlar : Hq & Hq Co, A and B Cos moving from Rosenthal, and C Co moving from Rossdorf. The following officers and enlisted men were awarded the Bronze Star Medal :

Capt Joseph M Cutchin
Capt John E. German
Capt Warren E. Downing
Capt William W. Stevenson
T/Sgt Royce S. McDonald
S/Sgt Clinton O. Stevens
Sgt Ralph Clamage
T/5 John J. Oliver
77th Armored Medical Bn, (AAR), 04-1945


(April 1) The entire battalion was assembled at Wetzlar. 2d Lt Charles E. Birkimer, MC, joined the battalion on April 2 and was assigned to A Co. The same day, B Co was relieved as the hospital company and C Co assumed the role of hospital company, with both the Combat Exhaustion Section and the Dental Section transferring to C Co. On April 3, one section of B Co moved from Wetzlar to Medebach. Capt Downing returned from the Instruction Officers Course in Paris and assumed his duties. 1st Lt Harry K. Elkins, MC, was assigned to the battalion and placed on duty with C Co.

(April 4) Capt Dante V. Duarte was transferred from C Co to the 202nd General Hospital. A Co moved from Wetzlar to Hallenberg. On April 5, A Co moved from Hallenberg to Neuastenberg in support of CCB. One section of B Co moved on April 6, to Kustelberg in support of CCA. On April 8, Hq & Hq Co and C Co moved from Wetzlar to Winterberg. Winterberg appeared to be one of Hitler’s baby factory towns. On the 10, Hq & Hq Co and C Co left Winterberg and moved to Schmallenberg. A Co also moved from Neuastenberg to Berghausen.

(April 11) found B Co moving from Oberkirchen to Schmallenberg. At this time, Capt Henry J. Herzog, MC, of the 87th Rcn Squadron, and 1st Lt Frederic A. Lengly of the 38th AIB, joined the battalion and were assigned to C Co. 1st Lt Harry K. Elkins was transferred to the 87th Rcn Sq. On April 12, A Co moved on to Wenholthausen, with B Co leaving Schmallenberg and going also to Wenholthausen. The 13 April found all the companies of the battalion on the move : Hq & Hq Co and C Co leaving Schmallenberg and going to Wenholthausen; A Co moving on to Stockum and B Co going to Balve. The Division was relieved of its mission of cleaning up the Ruhr Pocket, which it had satisfactorily performed, on April 16, and proceeded to an assembly area near Oberscheld. A Co left Stockum for Varmissen with CCA and B Co left Balve for Diederode with CCB. 2d Lt Frederick A. Clark, MC, was assigned and joined C Co.

(April 17) the guards of Hq & Hq Company apprehended five German prisoners; capturing two of them in the woods near our bivouac, and picking up three Hitler Youths who were seen coming out of the woods near our billets. They were dressed in civilian clothing and were carrying German military equipment. A Co moved from Varmissen to Lemshausen. Hq & Hq Co and C Co left Wenholthausen and traveled all night, Hq & Hq Co going to Meensen and C Co going to Atzenhausen. At this time the division left III Corps, transferring to the V Corps. This period was devoted to a strict check up on maintenance of vehicles, removal of contents and repacking, washing of vehicles, and stressing cleanliness of personnel and their clothing.

(April 21) Lt Richard Q. Stoeger rejoined the battalion. He had been absent sick in a General Hospital in Paris for the past two months. On the 24, our battalion commander, Maj John A. Williams was promoted (temp) to the rank of Lt Col per par. 12, Special Orders 104, Headquarters First United States Army, dated 16 April 1945. On the 25, company formation were held at which time Col Adams, 7th Armored Division Trains Commander presented Bronze Star Medals to the following officers and enlisted men of this unit :

Hq & Hq Company
– Capt Warren E. Downing
– 1st Lt Leo Feldman
– 1st Lt James C. Moore
– T/Sgt George P. Charlebois
– Sgt Paul J. Rozman

A Company
– Capt Donald P. Beirne

B Company
– Capt. Joseph H. Cutchin
– Capt Robert B. Dormire
– T/4 Bernard J. Schneider
– T/5 Gerald Rosen

C Company
– Capt Jacob Koff
– Capt Landon H. Gurnee

A Silver Star was presented to S/Sgt Clinton O. Stevens at this time.

(April 26) Capt Theodore T. Herring, MC, was transferred from B Co to the 38th AIB. Two of our former members, T/5 Robert J. O’Mara and Pfc Malcom Abrams both of B Co, were posthumously awarded the Silver Star. They lost their lives in the Ruhr Pocket action on March 29 1945. On the 26, 1st Lt W. W. Williamson and 1st Lt R. Q. Stoeger made a reconnaissance of the route of the proposed trip north to the vicinity of Celle (GER). The purpose of this reconnaissance was to note the location of all medical units along the route which could be used to evacuate casualties to during the trip the division contemplated making in the next few days. On the 29 and 30, the division moved to an assembly area in the vicinity of Celle, coming under the administration of the XVIII Corps (Airborne). B Co accompanied CCR, leaving Deiderode on the 29 and moving to Kleine Hehlen. On the 30, Hq & Hq Co left Meensen and moved to Kleine Hehlen, with A and C Cos moving to Große Hehlen.